MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are some pics of my new Platinum Silver Rover 218 iS, purchased last saturday.

What do you think guys? :D

Yes, that is a tennis ball in the right exhaust pipe.

One of the first things I did with the car is take it to an exhaust place and get the backbox swapped for the stainless steel one off a Nissan Skyline I got for my old car. Sound was a little overpowering, but after speaking to a few garages it seems that as both pipes are larger than the original, blocking one will not hurt, and it makes it a lot quieter but still sounds nice :)

Here is a video with the engine running:
http://vision-tech.org/crap/newrover/engine noise.3gp

90k miles, 1.8 petrol k series, very little rust except a small amount round boot lock and wheel arches. Has been serviced and well looked after. I believe cam belt and head gasket are done, but have no record of this. Will get cam belt done anyway. Good tread, almost a years MOT, paintwork in good condition except a couple of very minor marks on the bumper that will get touched up. Engine runs perfectly fine with no trouble whatsoever and starts everytime within a second.

So, assuming you don't know how much I paid for it, how much would you expect a car like this to go for? :D

EDIT: tennis ball was for testing purposes... will find a more perminant fix obviously :p

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
About £600. £601 if you were to include the tennis ball! :lol:

With fixes like that, i'll bet you like this site! :broon:
haha indeed I do, I posted one on there a while back how to shut up a smoke alarm.

I'm half way between either shoving the tennis ball in further and spraying it black, or welding something in there... at least I could remove it later if I stuck with the ball :D

snakeyman said:
Merrr.... i'd of gone for a rover 25 IMO... You stated no price, so i assume you mean it was a gift? Now that really is a bargain ;)
No, not a gift... drumroll....

cost me £350 :D

Jumbo tennis ball cost £2 from a pet shop, unfortunately it had a squeeky thing in there and I felt like a real t**t outside trying to jam that in with the thing squeaking away so I had to rip it out with a knife :)

And I wanted a 200 not a 25 as I prefer the front end once its detangoed and meshed. Looks nice ;)

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Squeaky thing, eh? You need to work out how to get that to whistle with the exhaust gasses. Free turbo noises! :rofl:

£350 - bargain. :broon:
Glad to hear you say that :D I'm very pleased with it so far, plenty of power and torque and without redlining hapily reached 70mph in 2nd gear! After my diesel I'm not so used to that XD

I did toy with the idea of sticking a party blower in my air intake just to see what would happen when you revved it :petevick:, but my other half decided I shouldn't.... Will probably do it anyway when I reposition the cone air filter I've got in there, bought a nice clean one 2nd hand for £15 and it made a lot more difference than I expected tbh. Felt a bit of a waste taking out my air box with the brand new air filter the old owner had put in there though...

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i've still got a receipt for my old 1.4 rover 200 if any one wants to see that... Drum roll pleaseeeee

£100

Headgasket was gone :L Scrapped it for £150 and kept a lot of parts for my new rover 200 :)
Haha nice one :) Sounds like a good deal.

I was talked into getting a petrol instead of diesel and was originally going for a 1.4 as they were pretty quick, but after scouting about I decided to find a 1.8 as even though there's not a lot more horsepower, theres more torque and the engine isn't pushing itself to get the figures as much, also more modding potential without big money... correct me if I'm wrong here... I'm by no means a mechanic... :p

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Nice 218. :) Look after her!
Thanks m8, I shall indeed :). It has been cleaned twice already, will do a more thourough job tomorrow, already got new belts for it and is having new discs & pads. Only fault so far is warped discs, so I'm replacing with drilled and grooved ones.

Oil is clear and looks like it just came out of the bottle :D.

Thanks all for your input, I'm feeling good about this purchase and shall definately be using this car for my electronics tinkering.

One quick question, does anybody have a pic of a silver 200 with chrome angel eyes? If not can I offer cookies in exchange for photoshop? *puppy eyes* I know they often look chavvy but I believe it'll go nicely with the silver. Might wanna buy some if it looks good, and it'll save me the hours spent de-oranging I had before...

·
Registered
MG ZT, Rover 25
5,994 Posts
£350 sound good to me if it's got a year's MOT. It looks clean and a good base for cosmetic mods if that's what you have in mind and with a 1.8 you're already starting with a bit of power. I'd have gone for a yellow tennis ball though.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.