MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey.

I'm trying to get a video of this problem to show you guys, but for now I'll just have to try and describe it.

The problem is when my 200 starts from cold. On start up, no smoke comes out of it, however if you blip the throttle / start off, a nice (or not) amount of blue smoke is fired out the back - esp. when moving off.

It usually has this smoking issue until changing to 3rd or sometimes in 2nd.

Any ideas as to why it is doing this?

- Only does it when its cold, once warm there is nothing
- The smoke is noticeable from the mirror as you drive off
- Doesn't smell like burning oil

Like I said I'm trying to get a video of this so you can see for yourself.

Other than this, the engine is running as sweet as a nut! (considering mileage)

Thanks

·
Registered
965 Posts
Hey.

Apologies but I'm on my housemate's computer, hence logged in as dave. We finally got round to making a video of the Rover tonight so you can see what I'm saying.

It was started up from cold and driven off as the video shows. (we pushed it off the drive) Sorry there's no sound, its on my digi cam.

Here's the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eL4SlqPyriI

And again sorry, but its hosted from youtube.

As you can (hopefully) see, it wasn't 'ragged' from start off, but driven normally, changing to 2nd at about 2500rpm (you can see the rear dipping as I do so)

If anyone out there can suggest a diagnosis, or anything as to what it could be, that would be great.

Thank you! Si

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
34,938 Posts
thats burning oil.

how many miles has it done and how much oil does it use?

What oil is in it at the moment?

·
Registered
737 Posts
Deffo oil being burnt.
Could possibly be bore wear..once the cars warmed up the ring seal it off. If the oil consumption is not excessive then I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for replying guys!

Yer, it's definitely oil isn't it. Weird thing is it doesn't have an oil smell. I can't remember the grade of the oil, but it's the GTX stuff for high mileage cars. It had a service nearly 9000 miles ago and is now just below 3/4's full on the dipstick.

It's on 114 000 miles by the way.

It's never been completely right since the head gasket was done at 93k. Don't know if that has anything to do with it.

·
Registered
737 Posts
More than likely to do with the HGF. How long did you drive it around with HGF?
As if the water mixed with the oil wont lubricate properly..
Just a guess though.

How bad does it consume oil? You say its on 3/4 on the dipstick, how many miles did you do after the last time you checked it (I.E before you knew it was burning oil...)

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was in Uni when I did the check and uncovered the mayo in the header tank, though it had been losing water for about 10 000 miles. Drove from Uni back home in it (bout 100 miles) doing about 55mph the whole way (took forever).

It over heated too in the process apparently - despite the temp gauge never moving nor did it show any other symptons of getting hot. It smelt hot but nothing excessive. Resulted in 4 valves needing to be changed though!
I check the oil every couple of weeks and coolant weekly. Doesn't move too much, like I said, in 9000 miles its used that amount. Not been topped up.

So you think it could essentially be damaged due to oil starvation from the water when the head gasket went? That makes sense.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Positive yeah. Put bits in at a time when filling it back up again after the oil change.

It was doing it just as much when the oil was lower as it was when on the max mark

·
Registered
737 Posts
Well, if you sure you aint over-filled it, then its burning oil. Its upto you what to do..
If it uses loads of oil over a short period of time then obviously think about doing something about it. But it uses hardly any, then just top it up.
Thats what I would do, but its upto you.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Definitely agree with you...

Apart from this it is running sweet, and like you say it isn't going through a litre of oil a week so i'll just leave it and let something develop - if it wants to

Just wanted to make sure it was nothing too serious

1 - 14 of 14 Posts