MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wandering, as lots of people spray their back lexus lights with a black or whatever colour finish creating that smoked effect, is it possible to do it to front headlights? I am going to de-orange them in afew days and the idea just popped into my head.
Is this legal? anyone attempted this before or have any pictures?

·
Registered
17,398 Posts
I see factory cars with smoked headlights, so as long as it doesn't change the temperature of the light and the light output too much should be OK, just don't go silly.

·
Registered
8,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I see factory cars with smoked headlights, so as long as it doesn't change the temperature of the light and the light output too much should be OK, just don't go silly.
I was only thinking of just a layer over the lens to give it a black look, but I didnt think it would change the temp too much. Is it the more layers that I put on, obviously the darker it will make the lens, but is that what you meant by going silly? If it is darker does it make the temp hotter?

Also, Ashy seeing as your about...
What in your opinion is better, the ITG or KnN panel filter?
Cheers!

·
Registered
17,398 Posts
Seeing as I've never had neither an ITG nor a K&N panel filter I can't really comment, but the ITG filters are reported to be the best as far as panel filters go.

You just need to make sure the light output doesn't drop too much (and no putting higher wattage bulbs in is not an option) and the the colour is neutral so as not to affect the colour temp.

·
Registered
10,157 Posts
I think tinting your headlamp lenses is a pretty naff idea if you intend on using them! R200 headlamps aren't exactly brilliant in the first place and tinting them won't help.
What a few people have done is painted the inner casing behind the lense black which gives a similar effect to that of the ZR headlamps.It looks very effective on light-coloured cars, especially silver.

·
Registered
8,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
...the ITG filters are reported to be the best as far as panel filters go.

You just need to make sure the light output doesn't drop too much (and no putting higher wattage bulbs in is not an option) and the the colour is neutral so as not to affect the colour temp.

I think tinting your headlamp lenses is a pretty naff idea if you intend on using them! R200 headlamps aren't exactly brilliant in the first place and tinting them won't help.
What a few people have done is painted the inner casing behind the lense black which gives a similar effect to that of the ZR headlamps.It looks very effective on light-coloured cars, especially silver.

It was just an idea I was toying with seeing as some of the new cars have slight black tints and I was gonna de-orange them soon so thought might as well do it at the same time. Maybe just a very light tint. Sure I cant put the xenons in with justa grayish look?

...the ITG filters are reported to be the best as far as panel filters go
Thought they might be as they are used and sold at PTP. Hopefully I can pick one up off their site sometime soon!

·
Registered
10,157 Posts
This is shaggie's tasty 216 with the tinted lights. I really wouldn't tint the lenses - just do what he has done here. Good result isn't it?

·
Registered
919 Posts
This is what it would look like. i tinted some headlamp protectors on the inside so they'd still look shiney, plus i could just pop them on for shows etc:

·
Registered
8,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This is shaggie's tasty 216 with the tinted lights. I really wouldn't tint the lenses - just do what he has done here. Good result isn't it?
Cheers mate, that doesnt look too bad, very subtle change to the actual colour. I think that is about as the right amount of dark I am looking for. Not 100% sure if I will do it yet, all depends on if I can get the tint spray on the same day I decide to de-orange the lights. Will post some pics up if I do them tho. Cheers everyone!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts