MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
mg_express
11,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
fitted some SMD LED's to my ZR, mainly to stop my girlfriend whinging about my blue LED's.
only had them in about a week - 10 days and both have blown. i've tried connecting them directly to a spare alarm system battery i've got,
bypassing the resistors, trying both directions.

has anyone else used these, were mine poor quality? or do they just have a rediculously short life?

·
Registered
mg_express
11,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
CHRIST, they're bright, i never saw mine at night.
i find it strange that both of mine went really quickly.
although i did follow my work mate out of the car park one morning, and put on ALL of my lights (halfords H1EB x2 halfords H7EB x2 halfords H1SB x2 SMD LED x2),
he said they were effing bright.

·
Registered
4,892 Posts
CHRIST, they're bright, i never saw mine at night.
i find it strange that both of mine went really quickly.
although i did follow my work mate out of the car park one morning, and put on ALL of my lights (halfords H1EB x2 halfords H7EB x2 halfords H1SB x2 SMD LED x2),
he said they were effing bright.

haha yea but legal i have bright white lights just need to replace the h1's to bright white but keep on forgetting to buy them

this is what mine is like i think on dipped if im wrong correct me because ive only had 3 hours sleep lol

this is main i think

·
Registered
mg_express
11,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
that's quite bright.

i know how you feel about sleep, i finished work at 7, goin to bed about 12 to get up for 3 so i can get to work again at 7.

what were you parked behind? looks like an almera from here

·
Registered
rover_25
1,681 Posts
fitted some SMD LED's to my ZR, mainly to stop my girlfriend whinging about my blue LED's.
only had them in about a week - 10 days and both have blown. i've tried connecting them directly to a spare alarm system battery i've got,
bypassing the resistors, trying both directions.

has anyone else used these, were mine poor quality? or do they just have a rediculously short life?

I had a set of these in my R200 having heard about the brightness but I only had them in for a couple of days to replace the phillips blue vision 501s. I wasn't impressed. They emmitted light forward only and did not fill the lamp. I have HID's and the LEDs looked blue rather than the white they were intended to and looked odd together. I then purchased a set of the 360 degree 5 LEDs. I was more impressed with them as they were white (not blue) and filled the whole lamp.

·
Registered
mg_express
11,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i had blue led's in my 200 and quite liked them, but my girlfriend kept getting spooked when i followed her, as she is a bit scared of police cars,

i thought that as the sidelights aren't very visible from the side of a zr that these would be good, do you think i just got a bad pair?

·
Registered
4,892 Posts
i had blue led's in my 200 and quite liked them, but my girlfriend kept getting spooked when i followed her, as she is a bit scared of police cars,

i thought that as the sidelights aren't very visible from the side of a zr that these would be good, do you think i just got a bad pair?

mate im shocked you never got pulled with them on you only had to fit a relay and let them flash :D

·
Registered
4,892 Posts
that's quite bright.

i know how you feel about sleep, i finished work at 7, goin to bed about 12 to get up for 3 so i can get to work again at 7.

what were you parked behind? looks like an almera from here

yea i like them they emit the light very well i do want hid's but i dont really want to fit hid's on everything such as main and dipped and when i fit fogs then onto them so everything is brighter so i find it cheaper just going for night breakers

·
Registered
mg_express
11,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
mate im shocked you never got pulled with them on you only had to fit a relay and let them flash :D
everyone i knew kept telling me i was going to get pulled over, but so far i've not been pulled in my own car. not once in 2 years of having blue led's did a single police officer make any comment.

where i live, as long as you actually own the car, and aren't doing anything stupid, you get left alone.

·
Registered
4,892 Posts
everyone i knew kept telling me i was going to get pulled over, but so far i've not been pulled in my own car. not once in 2 years of having blue led's did a single police officer make any comment.

where i live, as long as you actually own the car, and aren't doing anything stupid, you get left alone.

can i move in with you then haha because over here they do you for anything they seem to worry more about bits with cars then the violence

·
Registered
mg_express
11,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i saw someone drive past a police car with his phone blatantly stuck to his ear,
and the muppet police officer just looked, and carried on, he couldn't give a monkey's.

·
Registered
ROVER 25 and a ROVER CABRIOLET
35,804 Posts
I have been aware that some do blow prematurely mate, they are the cheaper poorly made ones which is a shame as these 4th Gen LEDs are very good from a decent supplier, I have them in my ROVER 800 Interior light upgrade, I also have the Festoon Versions in my Number Plate Light, Glove Box Light and Center Interior Light and they are epic !!!

Dr.Buck also has them in his ZR but when we had a 'Light Off' at one of the Winter Merseyside Meets his 4th Gen ones were no brighter than my 3rd Gen ones, I have Quad White LED 3rd Gen units in the 25X !!!

·
Registered
ROVER 25 and a ROVER CABRIOLET
35,804 Posts
Becuase LED's only require a small amount of Power to Run them and there may be a residual charge running though the Interior light cicuit due to the dim mechanism, plus the bulb may be in the wrong way ?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts