MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
other_rover
8,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
According to Auto Express Smart looks set to get the axe. Apparantly the Smart For Four has failed to meet sales expectations and the company is set to make a 400 million pound loss!

Wonder if anyone will buy it or the assets? Can't help thinking that Smart's product range could fit nicely below the 25......(plus CityRover could just quietly die).

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
MGROVERnut said:
According to Auto Express Smart looks set to get the axe. Apparantly the Smart For Four has failed to meet sales expectations and the company is set to make a 400 million pound loss!
I know Smart has always gushed red ink but I think they will try to soldier on in the hope they can pull it around. Personally I think they will never make a profit due to high labour costs in W Europe, the price sensitive market area they sell in & insufficient volume.

MGROVERnut said:
Wonder if anyone will buy it or the assets? Can't help thinking that Smart's product range could fit nicely below the 25......(plus CityRover could just quietly die).
The UK is a better place to build such a car with more flexible labour practices but really would still be a risk. Better to move production to Eastern Europe or Asia. Why that hasn't happened is stupid. May M Benz continue to lose money. It obviously has more than it knows what to do with. :doh:

·
Registered
other_rover
8,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
timekiller said:
Sorry to destroy your hopes but Smart is not going to be killed.

They just skipped some new models and are now focussing on the 2-seater.
Quentin Wilson said that DC are just delaying the announcement until the shareholders meeting (in the next few weeks).

·
Banned
2,077 Posts
Built duing the hey day of "*** Labour". A New mini car it was not!

What all of these people NEVER understand is that YOU LOSE money on these small cars! Peoples cars....VW Bug and the new MINI... yes but they are not small. You need to build in a cheap Labour land and Euroland is NOT the Place!

Die You little *******!
Mega

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.