MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys been a while
Need some info on a bottom end rebuild got a crank con rods liners and pistons from a low mileage mgzr 160 for the coupe
I measured the crank and it was within the specs so i used my rave cd and got the bearing measurements as per block/crank settings but i am getting a bit play on the big end not as much play as on the coupe standard crank with 60 thou(mileage) on it just need some reassurance that i am not going to rebuild an engine fit it and( fingers crossed it starts) start it up and it sounding like a bucket of nails
Everything seems ok according to rave but i read an article on the QED site and the table with the colour settings or the bearings were the total opposite of the rave cd anyone got a clue anyone with a similar experience or a pro an help keep an old coupe on the road

·
Registered
570 Posts
Hi guys been a while
Need some info on a bottom end rebuild got a crank con rods liners and pistons from a low mileage mgzr 160 for the coupe
I measured the crank and it was within the specs so i used my rave cd and got the bearing measurements as per block/crank settings but i am getting a bit play on the big end not as much play as on the coupe standard crank with 60 thou(mileage) on it just need some reassurance that i am not going to rebuild an engine fit it and( fingers crossed it starts) start it up and it sounding like a bucket of nails
Everything seems ok according to rave but i read an article on the QED site and the table with the colour settings or the bearings were the total opposite of the rave cd anyone got a clue anyone with a similar experience or a pro an help keep an old coupe on the road
What are the grades from the crank and rods?

Dave

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The crank has 4 A's and the conrods have 6 stamped on them so i have used a yellow and a blue bearing on each of the big ends,the crank has 5 1's stamped on it and the block has BBCBB so i have used mainly blue/green and a green/green in the centre dave thanks

·
Registered
570 Posts
The crank has 4 A's and the conrods have 6 stamped on them so i have used a yellow and a blue bearing on each of the big ends,the crank has 5 1's stamped on it and the block has BBCBB so i have used mainly blue/green and a green/green in the centre dave thanks
That is the right combination for the stated grades. the difference between the bearings grade sizes is only around 7 microns which is not enough to give a feeling of slackness if they are wrong.

I'd be worried, try some plastigauge in the big-ends. Unfortunately you cant do that on the mains.

Dave

1 - 5 of 5 Posts