MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Starlight Silver MG TF 135
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always had a problem with the toe of my size 9 shoe rubbing against the lower edge of the Lid assembly -Fascia Fusebox, on my 2002 TF. :
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Vehicle door Finger Automotive design

This interference between toe and trim panel actually interfered with moving my foot from accelerator to brake on a few occasions, so I had to find a solution. The toe of my right shoe was being scratched/scuffed by the sharp edges of the pressed-steel lower edge of this trim panel:
Bumper Gas Rectangle Automotive exterior Electric blue

I had previously "solved" this problem by simply removing this lid assembly and stowing away somewhere safe. This was after I stopped driving the car with the lid still in place, but with no right shoe. Stepping-out of the car onto wet or muddy surfaces persuaded me that shoe-less driving was NOT a long-term solution!
So I experimented with hardboard, drills and matt-black paper, to produce this prototype:
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Bumper Automotive exterior

By no means perfect, but it DOES allow safe driving:
Hood Automotive design Automotive lighting Vehicle door Automotive exterior

If anyone has had similar problems on a TF, and the F panel looks similar, so the same problem may exist for large footed F drivers, PM me and I will supply more details and dimensions from the prototype panel. I will be making a Mk2 version, using a more suitable glue to avoid the stretching and folds in the black paper covering.

·
Registered
mgf
1 Posts
I've had the same problem in my MGF even with my little size 7 feet, especially when I'm wearing my walking boots, I had to stick the ripped leather back into place; I'm interested in your solution but perhaps I should start by removing the cover.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've had the same problem in my MGF even with my little size 7 feet, especially when I'm wearing my walking boots, I had to stick the ripped leather back into place; I'm interested in your solution but perhaps I should start by removing the cover.
If I were (literally) in your (Walking) shoes, I would always remove that panel before driving. Apologies if you know this already: Just slightly slacken the two bottom screws, then turn the two plastic fasteners through 90 degrees, until the slots are vertical, then the top part of the cover drops down, and the assembly can be pulled away towards the drivers seat.

Interesting to hear that the F was just as badly designed for anyone with anything more than small shoes.. I have considered starting with a second-hand Lid assembly - Fascia Fusebox, carefully cutting-through the middle part of the metal reinforcement, then covering. IF you can find suitable leather to match, that would be your best long-term solution. Rimmers have CM100160SAV which might be a "close enough" colour (described as "Walnut" colour) and is a not-outrageous £25.20 for a complete assembly, including fasteners, washers etc.
Brown Rectangle Metal Fashion accessory Beige

Does anyone out there have a second-hand F or TF trim panel like this for sale?

·
Registered
04 MGTF Sunstorm 135. VW Arteon RLine 2.0 TSi. Vauxhall Corsa 1.4 SE
130 Posts
Me too - size 11 and over 6’ with no problems in the TF 🤔
However I once did a track day in a Caterham and had to drive in my socks! Managed the fastest lap of the day, so stockinged feet must be the way to go!! 😁

·
Registered
MGF's x 5 MGTF's x 6, Rover 620Ti & Cortina Mk3
2,114 Posts
Also size 11 and never had an issue, I've also sometimes worn my motorcycle boots in the car just to move it out of the way to get the bike out and never had an issue :unsure::unsure:

·
Registered
2002 MG TF VE51FTF
290 Posts
I've never had this problem and consequently never taken this bit off but looking at the pictures would it be possible to remove the entire bar at the bottom and replace with a hinge each side? No idea what the 2 screws go into but this would probably need beefing up a bit rivnut? or similar. The cover may need a strengthen piece inside the bottom edge to maintain rigidity. You could cut away the bottom as Ellisojo (nice socks) has and the reinforcing could then follow the contour of this, checking behind that it does not interfere with anything.
I can't imagine these are worth much S/H (unless a rare colour?) so playing with one shouldn't break the bank and covering with leathercloth would hide any signs of butchery.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Julian Foulger said:
I am 6' 2'' and size 11 shoes. Never had a problem. My seat is all the way back, back high up and I have seat lowering springs.

I guess the issue is about the relative body part lengths and angles!
I was a bit surprised by this, then thought Julian is presumably driving a LHD car which you might not think would make any difference, but accelerator pedal is next to the centre console, as opposed to the inside of the wheel well in a RHD car. Also, the pedal box will (presumably) be different, as it (presumably) acts directly onto the brake servo, rather than via this torque tube:
Hood Motor vehicle Car Automotive fuel system Vehicle

If I ever come across a LHD F or TF, I will ask if I can sit in the driver's seat and see if there IS a difference, or do I just have strange legs and feet (Don't answer that one!)

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've never had this problem and consequently never taken this bit off but looking at the pictures would it be possible to remove the entire bar at the bottom and replace with a hinge each side? No idea what the 2 screws go into but this would probably need beefing up a bit rivnut? or similar. The cover may need a strengthen piece inside the bottom edge to maintain rigidity. You could cut away the bottom as Ellisojo (nice socks) has and the reinforcing could then follow the contour of this, checking behind that it does not interfere with anything.
I have ordered a second-hand trim panel from MGFnTFBitz (only £5!) I am sure the 2 lower screws will be fine, but when I cut-away the centre part of the metal strip they are attached to, I will need to drill extra holes through metal and plastic, then pop-rivet through those holes to prevent metal twisting and/or detaching from the plastic. I think rigidity will be fine, the panel has no mechanical function, it is just there to keep the area "tidy" and hide the fuse panel and steering column etc.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
EllisoJo - No, I drive a righthand drive car here - Bought from new in the UK 24 years ago and drove it across here 14 years ago.
Well, that (plus the experience of Deepfat, Dert and probably many others) blows my theory!

As you previously said:

"the issue is about relative (lengths of) body parts and angles"

·
Registered
270 Posts
I have always had a problem with the toe of my size 9 shoe rubbing against the lower edge of the Lid assembly -Fascia Fusebox, on my 2002 TF. :
View attachment 138254
This interference between toe and trim panel actually interfered with moving my foot from accelerator to brake on a few occasions, so I had to find a solution. The toe of my right shoe was being scratched/scuffed by the sharp edges of the pressed-steel lower edge of this trim panel:
View attachment 138257
I had previously "solved" this problem by simply removing this lid assembly and stowing away somewhere safe. This was after I stopped driving the car with the lid still in place, but with no right shoe. Stepping-out of the car onto wet or muddy surfaces persuaded me that shoe-less driving was NOT a long-term solution!
So I experimented with hardboard, drills and matt-black paper, to produce this prototype:
View attachment 138255

By no means perfect, but it DOES allow safe driving:
View attachment 138256

If anyone has had similar problems on a TF, and the F panel looks similar, so the same problem may exist for large footed F drivers, PM me and I will supply more details and dimensions from the prototype panel. I will be making a Mk2 version, using a more suitable glue to avoid the stretching and folds in the black paper covering.
Possibly,. your sitting closer to the pedal than most people with bigger feet. It means your foot is more horizontal than most, looking at the picture? My foot is flatter, and is in the two o clock position my friend.
, so the tip of my shoe are lower, if that makes sense. The bigger the foot, the further back the heel will be, I guess? And also flatter, if you see my point? Richard. :giggle:

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Got it Richard - it sounds feasible although surely you mean regarding the picture as more vertical, not more 'horizontal'?

What is more, I rest my heels on a metal plate that sits on top of a car mat that sits on top of a new carpet and still have no problem.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts