MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, Can anyone suggest where to fit an 10X8X2 inch amp in a rover 400 I would like it out of sight and as easy an install as possible. Also said amp is a 4 channel phono input whereas h.u has only the front output on phonos,any suggestions. cheers.:confused:

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
You can buy "Y splitters" to split the one signal from your headunit into 2 pairs of identical signals. There's only a tiny bit of loss in quality/output. but you won't be able to independantly control the level of the rears compared to the fronts from up front in your car. You'll have to set the gains on each pair of channels on the amp, and leave it set like that until you next access the amp. It's usual practise to run the rears quieter than the fronts, and run a "low pass" filter on the rears, so you're getting low frequency output which helps with bass/midbass, but you don't get high end stuff, which confuses our perception of the sound.

Not sure where you could install the amp unfortunately, as I don't know the cars very well. In my coupe, I used behind the rear quarter panels, but I'm assuming yours is a 4-door, hence no-go there. In the boot is pretty obvious - perhaps the spare wheel well, in the middle of the wheel? Easy access to lives/earths from there. If you run the cable well, it shouldn't be a problem hiding it under various bits of trim.

HTH

·
Window Licker
20,888 Posts
Mark's spot on, Y-leads are the ideal way to split the signal into the 4 inputs. In my 400 I've cut and covered a piece of MDF and mounted it to the rear of the back seats, then mounted my amps onto that. I'll take a few pics if you like? :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.