MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope someone could answer this simple question, here goes...

I am looking at these.. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320095178746 ..but I am aware that the bulb dash light could come in with them fitted. But, this pack includes a "battery wiring harness that has a built in relay and Fuse."

The harness protects your car's eletrical system with a fail safe built in fuse, it also prevents drawing a higher current from your car than it can actually provide. This ensures full voltage stabilty for your HID kit and the cars' electrical system
Will this stop the dash light from coming on...???

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Dave or DAD has he goes by, is probably the best to answer this as he has just fitted similar to his ZT with no problems. He will probably be on later to assist.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Dave or DAD has he goes by, is probably the best to answer this as he has just fitted similar to his ZT with no problems. He will probably be on later to assist.
Think DAD fitted just the Xenon "look" bulbs not the full HID kit and he fitted the Xenon "look" side light bulbs.

If you fit a HID kit it will not show up on the bulb faliure panel, whereas some led side light bulbs will.

DAD will confirm wether i'm right or wrong........:dddc:

Jim

·
Registered
10,227 Posts
- - - - I am looking at these.. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320095178746 - - - -
Will this stop the dash light from coming on...???
These HID kits do not cause the 'Failed Bulb' warning. They act just like replacement bulbs, but use less power, typically 35watts.

The 10000K colour temperature version you show will have very blue light and will not be as 'bright' as conventional halogens. There are lots of discussions on the forums about HID colour temperatures and the generally preferred one is the 6000K. This gives 'bright white' light that is the most useful for distance illumination.

There's also the issue of compliance. I was thinking seriously about fitting these to my projectors, but after researching wider, I've decided against it. One practical reason is they proably won't give better distance illumination than a standard Philips Bluevision bulbs. The HIDs will appear much brighter locally, but that is a double-edged advantage. The beam projection might be something else.

Here's something I posted recently:

Talking about after market fitted HIDs, there's a lot to learn about the system. Many people (including me) thinking about fitting a HID conversion kit, will assume it's basically just a matter of swapping a bulb for a HID burner and away you go. However, it seems that if your lamps were not originally designed for HIDs (eg. halogen lamps) you would be unwise to go ahead.

I came across this useful page which goes into the detail as to why HIDs shouldn't be retrofitted. http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...nversions.html

As to the legality of retrofitting HIDs (re. self-levelling/cleaning systems), I found a very interesting discussion from late 2006 on the MBClub UK Forum. I'm sure 'Chas' won't mind me pasting the info he received from the department of Transport on this subject.

QUOTE:
Department of Transport (UK)

The situation for Gas Discharge (HID High Intensity Discharge) (commonly known as Xenon) headlamps is complex.

I attach links to the Road Vehicle Lighting Regulations 1989 which regulate the situation in the UK.
Under these Regulations Xenon headlamps are not mentioned and therefore they are not permitted according to the strict letter of the law.

However you will be well aware that new vehicles have Xenon headlamps. This is because they comply to European type approval Regulations. The UK cannot refuse to register a vehicle with a European type approval. These are to ECE Regulation 98 (for the Xenon headlamps which are tested on a rig in a laboratory) and ECE Regulation 48 (Lighting Installation on the vehicle).

For the aftermarket, a used vehicle cannot obtain type approval because it is only applicable for new vehicles. However we feel that saying "Xenon is banned in the aftermarket" would not be reasonable. Instead we should make analogies with new vehicles. It would be reasonable to require Xenon in the aftermarket to meet the same safety standards as on new vehicles. The same level of safety should apply.

Therefore a Xenon headlamp sold in the aftermarket should:

1. be type approved to ECE Regulation 98 as a component.
2. when fitted to the vehicle should enable ECE Regulation 48 to be complied with (although no government inspection will take place).
3, Comply with RVLR as far as "use" is concerned.

In practice this means:

1. The headlamp unit (outer lens, reflector, bulb) shall be type approved to ECE 98 and be "e-marked" to demonstrate this. That can only be done by the headlamp supplier - Hella, Valeo etc. who must test the headlamp in an independent laboratory.
2. Once fitted to the vehicle it must have headlamp cleaning and self-levelling (which can be for the headlamp or can be in the vehicle suspension - some expensive estate cars have "self-levelling suspension" and that is adequate). Also the dipped beam must stay on with the main beam.
3. The headlamp must be maintained in good working order, kept clean, and aligned/adjusted correctly like any other headlamp.
UnQUOTE

We are aware of kit available in the aftermarket where a Xenon "burner" or bulb is fitted inside a headlamp designed for use with conventional Halogen filament bulbs. The burner is fitted with a "bayonet" type fitting so it fits where the Halogen bulb should fit. This is not legal and the vendor, the person who mounts it on the vehicle and the person who drives the vehicle are all committing an offence. (Which also means that he is invalidating the insurance.)
The reason for this is that headlamps and bulbs are made to tight tolerances and the wrong type of bulb will cause an incorrect beam pattern to be emitted, which could cause dazzle and discomfort to other drivers. "
UNQUOTE

None of that should stop anyone fitting HID kits if they want to. It just fills in a few gaps I had in my understanding about them, especially regarding washer/self-leveling systems and the after-market fitting of HIDs. Seems this point gets slightly stretched by the kit suppliers, but it would need a court case to make any legal sense of it.

TC

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good post, lots of good information there.

I have seen the kit I am getting (10K) on another car (with projectors) and I can tell you the distance of illumination is much, much better than the Phillips GT150's I have currently in my ZT, yes they are very blue, but are road legal.

He has also been through a couple of MOTs with them, and they have never been raised as issues either. They have E24 mark approval, so are legal.

I will post some pics of before and after so people can make their own judgement, so in essence, i'll take one for the team ;)

·
Registered
rover_75
19 Posts
HID Conversion

I fitted this kit to my Galaxy, personaly I found it greatly enhanced the "envelope" of light around the front of the vehicle, but it did NOT improve the distance vision or lighting. In the end I went back to the 50% brighter xenon bulbs I had used previously and sold the kit on. Like all things though I think it is a matter of personal preference.

I had no problem with the bulb failure light coming on with these fitted either, it behaved the same as it always had.

My personal experience is that they were dissappointing and a waste of money, they also ran quite hot and I would be concerned with the 75 as they have plastic lenses I beleive.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Think DAD fitted just the Xenon "look" bulbs not the full HID kit and he fitted the Xenon "look" side light bulbs.

If you fit a HID kit it will not show up on the bulb faliure panel, whereas some led side light bulbs will.

DAD will confirm wether i'm right or wrong........:dddc:

Jim
Sorry guys, missed this thread by a mile! Better late than never I guess.

But yes I fitted the Xenon look bulbs. They do contain Xenon gas, but burn't at a much lower voltage/temp than the HID's.

They are a decent upgrade from the yellow dull halogens, but not as good as HID's.

Word of warning, the most important thing to note is;

You cannot have a HID bulb in a lamp that also contains other bulbs open to it.

It will melt them! And a lot of 75/ZT's do have side and dipped lights in the same housing so be careful.

LED's are a different bulb altogether, not as defined or as strong as a decent xenon, and will cause bulb failure messages due to their low operating voltage.

·
Premium Member
54,941 Posts
T, yes they are very blue, but are road legal.

He has also been through a couple of MOTs with them, and they have never been raised as issues either. They have E24 mark approval, so are legal.
Is that the headlamp lens that has the approval mark?

And have you fitted self levellers and washers to make it legal?

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cheers for the reply DAD (feels so wrong saying that ;) ).

I have bought and fitted my 10K HIDs to my ZT now... here's a pic mid job..

I am waiting for my car to come back from getting its wheels refurbished, then I will take some proper pics and vids of them. So far, they are awesome.

Is that the headlamp lens that has the approval mark?

And have you fitted self levellers and washers to make it legal?
The HID kit with the approval mark - the projector lenses are the same for the ZT's with the factory HIDs.

It has self levellers anyway and you don't need the washers to make an aftermarket HID kit legal.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Oh my word! oh no, oh boy...........how terrible!

Shouldn't you get that accident damage looked at first before messing around with your lights Spanky?

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oh my word! oh no, oh boy...........how terrible!

Shouldn't you get that accident damage looked at first before messing around with your lights Spanky?
Haha, its nothing a bit of T-Cut didn't remove !!

·
Registered
922 Posts
Haha, its nothing a bit of T-Cut didn't remove !!
Glad to hear that. You must have had a big tin of it then :lol:

Make sure you post pix of the finished results.
I am very interested to see how they look in full blaze.

I have very rusty rear wheel hubs that i need to sort and brake calipers to prep and paint, but after that, HID's are next on the list, but I have the pre-face lift, so will have to be a different approach to yours.

Well done so far mate.

·
Premium Member
54,941 Posts
The HID kit with the approval mark - the projector lenses are the same for the ZT's with the factory HIDs.

It has self levellers anyway and you don't need the washers to make an aftermarket HID kit legal.
Nice one, advantge of the ZT with the lenses.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
HID's won't melt plastic lamps, they only run at 35W - COLD in comparison to normal halogens.
Indeed, not a very scientific test I know, but after my old Halogens had been on, you could put your hand on the lens and it would feel quite warm, its not the case anymore, you can hardly feel anything to be honest - so I am not sure if it would 'melt' other bulbs in the same lamp - don't take it as gospel, but I don't think the heat from the HIDs would be a problem.

·
Registered
922 Posts
HID's won't melt plastic lamps, they only run at 35W - COLD in comparison to normal halogens.
Not sure why they advise not to have both in the same lamp then.

May be we'll find out one day.:confused:

Anyways, off to get my TM off ebay, wish me luck :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts