MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought this on ebay: -

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4635693733&sspagename=ADME:L:RTQ:UK:1

I know that everything just pops out with the help of a flat-bladed screw driver with the exception of the main instrument binnacle surround and the heater controls surround. I think there's just 2 screws for the main instrument surround but I'm extremely nervous about all that's involved in changing the heater controls surround.

Can someone please advise me on what to do with regards to a Rover 25 please - is it worth all the hassle?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
680 Posts
Basically, to replace the heater surround, undo the screws which fix the centre console in place. You can then move this towards the back end of the car so that you have access to the screws which are holding the heater surround in.

·
Premium Member
54,941 Posts
4 screws for the binnacle surround IIRC. Two in the top and one either side of the steering wheel behind the rubber strip.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice, I just realised that the electric windows switch might be a bit tough to change. Do I need to disconnect the wires for that?

And on the heater surround, is that difficult to do?

Thanks again :)

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
34,938 Posts
window switch is probably the easiest to do! just need to prize it out and pull out the two blocks at the back. nice and simple :)

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Yeah its all easy stuff if youre just careful!

Just get a Haynes and undo the four screws (two on each side of the gearstick) of the centre console and remove them.

Then take out the filler panel just underneath the handbrake lever (little square bit of plastic that looks like a battery compartment).

Then take out these two 7mm bolts.

Make sure your head unit is out, and the gearstick handle is off. You can do this by pulling on the leather where it joins with the knob and pushing it downwards towards the floor. It should pop off. Then you can hold the stick itself and turn the knob anticlockwise until it comes off (it may be stiff).

Then you can lift the centre console up and backwards from the front....

Exposing the heater panel and such like.

Be careful with connections....You have to disconnect a lot of things before pulling it right out....

Rear heated window switch, Hazard Switch, Front and Rear Fogs need to be disconnected from the back (you'll see its easy...just the usual clips)...

And then the two electric window buttons (once again...easy just more clips).

Hope I could help...

Oli

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh, for a Haynes manual, would I be as well buying a cd with the manual on it? I've seen a lot of these kicking about on ebay and wondering if any of them are legit (as in actually any good or not). It's just I wouldn't fancy trying it without a manual!

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
You can get the Haynes manuals from Halfords...

Theyre books.

The CDs you see are the service guides and are generally pretty rubbish...as most of them arent legit.

I think theres a legit Rover Service CD somewhere around but I would stick with the Haynes to be honest as that is really only supplementary.

Oli

·
Registered
28,089 Posts
The original service CD is very good If you know what the part You want to out is called (remove locking armature spigot pin ????) the ones on ebay arnt legit they are all copies of what is known as the "RAVE" disc , genuine ones can be bought from brown and gammons , theylist it as POA and i think they are around £300 mark so they aint cheap.

Did you get the lovely Cat ironing board cover with it as well ? its just a bit 1970`s

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
I’ve got the rave and a Haynes manual. There both good but the rave is more technical, its written for a trained mechanic as the user is expected to be able to use the tools and perform the techniques required. The Haynes explains most repairs.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
As expected I managed to get the dash insert, clock cover and windows switches replaced no bother, but no matter what I try I'm finding it impossible to get the philips screws out from around the steering wheel.

Any suggestions on how to do this (I know it sounds ridiculous doesn't it!).

Thanks.

·
Registered
139 Posts
not sure, i didn't seem to struggle at all......
use a small "stubby" philips screw driver to remove 2 screws on underside of top of trim,
and a normal philips to remove the rest. to get to these, think all i did was to adjust the steering wheel height and pull the rubber cover off the trim which sits on top of the cover over the steering wheel boss and that should do it :errx2: think that makes sense?

·
Registered
139 Posts
lol, i unerstand.
what you need is a screw driver that is usually around 1/3rd the size of a normal screw driver - if you don't have one i'm sure you'll have a mate or neigbour with one in the toolbox!
only thing to suggest i think!

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sorted! Went into Homebase and got a screwdriver which did the job perfectly! Looks great now! Thanks for the advice :)

Now all that's left is the heater surround (need to wait till I get a Haynes manual though - not sure if I'll manage it without).

:D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts