MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
rover_400_95_99
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys just got some wicked twin led sidelights from striker, they a cool white light with a blue tint then flick on off they turn my choice or green, the only thing is as soon as you put the ignition on the secondary sidelight on the headlight bulb kicks in and all i get is the pee yellow light as normal, is there any way i can fit different bulbs with out the sidelight bit if so what fitment would these be?

Any other suggestions as i wanna drive around and show off the cool lighting!

Cheers Stuart

·
Registered
rover_25
1,835 Posts
I'm not really sure what you're asking mate sorry, I'm getting the LEDs this week too so maybe I'll know then.

Liam

·
Registered
mg_zr
616 Posts
I have the same problem http://forums.mg-rover.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=25298. and after thinking about it there is a way round it, Basically when you switch your ignition on something tells your main bulbs to light a dull yellow, I think this is a feature on H4 bulbs i may be wrong. I have'nt had a proper look but something tells me there is'nt a quick fix like changing bulbs, cutting a few wires or hitting something with a hammer:naughty: .

I think the best thing to do is to make a seperate (private) circuit and run the sidelights on, its well easy to do if you know simple electronics (like me) you just run off an existing 12v supply add a switch and an inline fuse for safety, and you can run your sidelights seperate to your mainlights. I am gonna do this in the next week so ill let you know how i get on.

·
Premium Member
79,177 Posts
It's called dim-dip! Stops planks driving around town on sidelights............

All you need to do is disable the dim-dip side of things

Don't ask me how....

·
Registered
mg_zr
616 Posts
This is how, thanks to bgunn for the info.

It's due to dim-dip lighting, legislation is in force that means all UK market cars produced from '85 (IIRC) must make the dipped headlights operate at reduced intensity when the sidelights are switched on and the engine is running (ignition in pos II).

You don't necessarily have to have it like that - there's no test for it in the MOT, and the way to stop it is to disconnect the dim-dip resistor, which, if the R3 is the same as the R8 200, will be behind the bumper on the passenger side. It's a gold coloured device pop rivetted to an aluminium plate, which is held to the body by a single M6 bolt, with a flying lead connected to the body loom. Disconnect this plug and you should find the dim-dip function stops working, but everything else should work as normal.

·
Registered
420 Posts
its an easy fix mate, the is a fuse called dim/dip, its in position f24 on the fuse box in the car, pull it out, problem fixed! nice clean light!

·
Registered
rover_25
1,835 Posts
How do I replace the bulbs with LEDs? Do I just pull them out because they're really tight and I'm scared to shatter the glass...

Liam

P.S. Yes, I have posted this in loads of other posts as well :D

·
Registered
rover_400_95_99
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cheers guys, does anyone know if that fuse will be in the same place in my 400 fuse box?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts