MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hi,

I did something very stupid today, I shut the bonnet while the keys were still in it.

duh!

It took me an 1 1/2 to get the bonnet open

PHEW!!!!

Oh well, I'm a grade A muppet.

Thought I would share it for people who might have the same problem.

Cheers

Leigh

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
maybe not such a good idea mate to tell people how to get into the bonnet ?????? .... might be an idea to delete your post
this information is freely available all over the net, any monkey can work out where the bonnet release mechanism is (its not exactly hidden unless you have air conditioning). Its knowing what to press on the release mechanism that proves to be very difficult.

·
Registered
255 Posts
If you were going to hide a key on or in your car, where would you guys suggest? Sounds like a damn good idea, but im not sure there is anywhere i can think of thats out of sight, out of mind and safe.....im always paranoid about locking my keys in the boot etc

·
Registered
141 Posts
the immobiliser would still be activated wouldnt it so the key would be useless for anything other then opening the boot surley or am i incorrect ?

·
Registered
mgf
5,476 Posts
I am working on a manual boot release at the moment - the electric ones available all require the key to be in the ignition (so no use if the key is in the boot / bonnet).

I know of 4 ways to break into the boot, and put one into practice at Stoneleigh recently (to help a stranded F owner - keys in boot). It was whilst doing this i realised that with the modifications done to Scarlet this method would be useless, furthermore, of the other 3, only the one that results in the most damage would be possible! So i put my thinking cap on and am half way through a cunning modification - total costs so far are just £6.00, which compares favourably with getting a spare key cut and carries less risk of a thief nicking your car.

·
Registered
42,093 Posts
i know the information is quite well known now, and if searched enough can be found on the internet, i just dont think we should be promoting the advertising of how to do it!!!

andy, let me know when u are finished as i might like to 'borrow' your mod...am not sure whether to plump up the cash for the clifford fob release button yet, which would be useless anyway if my keys were shut in the boot.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
sorry lads but is it just me or do you not leave you're keys in the lock when you open you're boot i do so make me leaving my keys in the boot very hard also do you guys wear jeans,trak bottoms etc as you know there are things called pockets lol

sorry had to say it lol

·
Registered
17,075 Posts
fecae2000 said:
... is it just me or do you not leave you're keys in the lock when you open you're boot i do so make me leaving my keys in the boot very hard
I agree, if the key is in the lock it cannot be shut in the boot. I only have 1 key for the car + blipper on the key ring. Other keys (house, work etc) ae kept separate as I swap between bike & car regularly.

·
Registered
mgf
5,476 Posts
Personally i find a good dose of paranoia helps. :err:

Open boot, (make a point of putting keys in pocket), look in boot (check keys are still in pocket), retrieve stuff from boot (check keys are still in pocket), check keys are still in pocket then close boot (& check keys are still in pocket again). Walk away from car (check keys are still in pocket once more).

;)

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Scarlet Fever said:

Open boot, (make a point of putting keys in pocket), look in boot (check keys are still in pocket), retrieve stuff from boot (check keys are still in pocket), check keys are still in pocket then close boot (& check keys are still in pocket again). Walk away from car (check keys are still in pocket once more).

;)

lol thats so true

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Scarlet Fever said:

;)
SAME HERE :)

·
Registered
47,841 Posts
Scarlet Fever said:

;)
Wierd, thats exactly what I do, altho I double check before I shut the boot.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Scarlet Fever said:

;)
After locking ours in the boot and having to get the mother-in-law to pick us up and take us home to get the spare set we now do all of the above...

but we now also add "make sure girlfriend has spare key on her set of keys"!!!

·
Registered
14,789 Posts
Scarlet Fever said:
I am working on a manual boot release at the moment - the electric ones available all require the key to be in the ignition (so no use if the key is in the boot / bonnet).
Sounds like a damn good idea that!

Jonathan

1 - 20 of 35 Posts