MG-Rover.org Forums banner

Show My Number Plate

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
I vote yes. I think the odds on anyone criminally minded actually possessing a Biomorphic Green Mk1 ZT-T of any description, let alone a 260, are probably long enough to keep me safe from cloining :D

·
Registered
463 Posts
Womble said:
I vote yes. I think the odds on anyone criminally minded actually possessing a Biomorphic Green Mk1 ZT-T of any description, let alone a 260, are probably long enough to keep me safe from cloining :D
Problem is you never know, I voted no.

Watching telly about some poor lady who keeps getting demands from red Ken to pay him CC bunce. She lives up north and has never been to London.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Tim V8 said:
Problem is you never know, I voted no.

Watching telly about some poor lady who keeps getting demands from red Ken to pay him CC bunce. She lives up north and has never been to London.
I've heard a few of those stories too, but they seem to fall into 2 camps:

- People who have false plates made up at random on cars which bear no resemblance to the vehicle they are actually on legally. This is the most common, and fortunately the easiest to disprove, as there is simply no way that my ZT-T could ever transform itself into a Nissan Micra for example, and most of the relevant infringements are camera recorded, although I could just imagine some misguided plod doing some further investigation into the true properties of Biomorphic paint! :D

- People who actually target an identical vehicle to copy the plates from. This is not so common I believe, but is an absolute nightmare if it happens to you. If I were the owner of a 75 diesel in Starlight Silver there's no way I would even contemplate having my plates published on here, but I am pretty much 100% sure that my car is unique, so this doesn't apply!

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
I feel pretty safe in the cloning stakes as my car is one of 74 on the DVLA register some of which would be facelift models. Mine is a 2003 car registered 2004, therefore pretty uncommon I would think even though it is not the most exotic of colours. Given loads of money and loads of choice I would have picked the same car in shot silk with chrome side strips. Now that would present a problem for a cloner :).

MM

·
Registered
99 Posts
Womble said:
I've heard a few of those stories too, but they seem to fall into 2 camps:

- People who have false plates made up at random on cars which bear no resemblance to the vehicle they are actually on legally. This is the most common, and fortunately the easiest to disprove, as there is simply no way that my ZT-T could ever transform itself into a Nissan Micra for example, and most of the relevant infringements are camera recorded, although I could just imagine some misguided plod doing some further investigation into the true properties of Biomorphic paint! :D

- People who actually target an identical vehicle to copy the plates from. This is not so common I believe, but is an absolute nightmare if it happens to you. If I were the owner of a 75 diesel in Starlight Silver there's no way I would even contemplate having my plates published on here, but I am pretty much 100% sure that my car is unique, so this doesn't apply!
I am going to vote no I'm afraid. Not just because I do actually have a 75 diesel in starlight silver as Womble mentions above.

A mate of mine who had a 52 reg Vauxhall Astra went through a phase a couple of years ago when he received about a dozen speeding tickets from the Met from cameras around London and on the M25. It seems that someone had made up duplicates of his plates and put them on (a probably nicked!) identical car. The clone had also been involved in drive off's from petrol stations.

Fortunately, he was eventually able to prove to the police that he was nowhere near London when each of the incidents took place. It was still a nightmare though!

·
Registered
rover_75_tourer
48 Posts
Womble said:
I agree with Womble.. If they manage to find a facelift 75 tourer in Biomorphic green to steal - then surf long enough to find a photo of mine & go to the trouble of copying my wife's number plates, they'd have to be pretty determined. I think they'd go for the grey Vectra or blue Mondeo first.....

Anyway we've paid a lot of money for the car and the personal plates, why shouldn't we show them off.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Pics>>

I have pmed the guys that was happy to reveal thier numbers and sent a few out. I am going to send a few more today as a couple of guys have got back to me.

I have a lot more if you saw me on the gate of the arena in a xpower cap taking your pic I will probably have a pic of your car.

The guys who I have sent pics out to can be the judge if they are worth having.

I dont want to poke my nose in but have some nice pics I would like to share.

If you want me to see if I have a pic and send it to you via email then you can do with it what you want.

my email is [email protected]

Cheers.

Ian.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
arr you was the one in the funny hat :)

i got your PM and replied, hope to see some nice pictures of my car as you looked like you knew what you was doing :D

·
Registered
mg_zt
1,311 Posts
sky0000547 said:
Your plates are on show to the public when you are driving around anyway.
true, but its a lot easier to find one on the net from anywhere in the country and steal the plate, rather than drive around to find a matching car and note the plate.

though I'd feel a lot happier if that sort of thing happened with a car which wasn't local to me, as that would make proving its not my car a lot easier.

the plate doesnt have any real impact on the car anyway, so its not as if you loose much by posting images with the plates blanked, especially if its done properly anyway :)

(plus, I've got a Starlight Silver Diesel 75 :p)

·
Registered
mg_zt_t
55 Posts
Herzlos said:
true, but its a lot easier to find one on the net from anywhere in the country and steal the plate, rather than drive around to find a matching car and note the plate.

though I'd feel a lot happier if that sort of thing happened with a car which wasn't local to me, as that would make proving its not my car a lot easier.

the plate doesnt have any real impact on the car anyway, so its not as if you loose much by posting images with the plates blanked, especially if its done properly anyway :)

(plus, I've got a Starlight Silver Diesel 75 :p)
I beg to differ. Plate can have a huge impact on the presentation of the car.

Now that would look stupid as blanked out.....

Said my bit. Debate on....

Regards, Luke

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
I think the risks are overly exagerated. At worst, you are going to get wrongly accused of some speeding tickets, or drive-offs or something, and I think almost everyone could prove they were at work in a different part of the country (or just at work) at the time of the offence. But if you are paranoid then contine to blank them....

·
Registered
mg_zt
1,311 Posts
Samuel said:
I think the risks are overly exagerated. At worst, you are going to get wrongly accused of some speeding tickets, or drive-offs or something,
You're right, it is incredibly overexagerated, but it doesnt mean people shouldn't be careful, especially with more common cars.

and I think almost everyone could prove they were at work in a different part of the country (or just at work) at the time of the offence. But if you are paranoid then contine to blank them....
that is, of course, if the offense happened in a different part of the country, what if it was somewhere you could feasably have driven to?

Haxx said:
I beg to differ. Plate can have a huge impact on the presentation of the car.

Now that would look stupid as blanked out.....

Said my bit. Debate on....

Regards, Luke
I don't think it makes that much difference, but I appreciate not everyone will agree with me and thats what makes a debate a debate :)

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Well Herzlos you are right, they should still be careful, but i did add "(or just at work)" in brackets to mean that even if it happened locally, you would probably be able to prove you were at work.
Neither of my parents drive around during their working hours. Either they are at work, or they dont want to drive out for lunch just to use up their lunch time sitting in traffic!
Sure some people drive for their jobs, but many of them will be commercial vehicles, or if you are travelling to meetings there might be a chance that you and the plate-copier are travelling in the same place but I have my doubts.
I know it happens, I know it pays to be careful, but I take much bigger risks in my daily life than the possibility of getting my plates copied. I shant worry.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Well done with the Pics Ian, the one of mine cuddled up to El Robbos motor is not only excellent quality but has now taken up residence on my desktop in preference to all others.

MM

1 - 20 of 22 Posts