MG-Rover.org Forums banner

Should Ms. Hewitt (Minister for Trade and Industry) Resign?

• Yes

Votes: 174 90.6%
  • No

Votes: 18 9.4%

Should Patricia Hewitt Resign?

4K views 76 replies 53 participants last post by  RolandRat 
#1 ·
Should Patricia Hewitt resign with immediate effect after announcing that MGR had called in the receivers, when in fact they had apparently done no such thing?

#13 ·
One expects a higher standard from such an official. I simply do not care about any political standings of anyone who reads this, but a mistake like that is simply inexcusable, regardless of the political party.

As has been said above, this could cost people their jobs, that is an issue far far to serious to 'sweep under the carpet'.

CAM

#14 ·
Official statement from the government (don't know which bit but not Hewitt) is that Hewitts statement is correct and they have official word from the highest authority of the directors of MGR.
Now given the reports say that Towers says otherwise to this news, you're left to wonder who the government are talking to.
It's all very odd and there's something not quite adding up.

I think it's safe to say that in general this has been a HUGE **** up all round for labour and not just that one statement, to make a screw up like this so close to an election is almos un heard of. Is Tony really that confident about May, perhaps he has been getting election tips from President Bush, we all know how he got elected.

EDIT: The fact of the matter is, and i'm glad to say the news reports are empthasising this, if MGR ARE in receivership Hewitt had no right to announce this it's for the directors of a private company only to do so. IF MGR are NOT in receivership then the statement made by Hewitt has almost certainly sealed it a certainty that MGR will now HAVE to go into receivership.

#18 ·
Does anyone else have a sneaking suspicion that this was hurried along nice and early so as to minimise the negative effect on Labours re-election campaign? Sorry to be cynical..

Yes of course she should resign, but whereas before when ministers resigned they faded away for at least a decade, most of Labours seem to resign, admit no wrongdoing, go on the back benches for a year, than get reapointed. Just look at Boomerang Mandleson. So is there any point in her resigning at all?

#20 ·
If MGR have not yet called in the receivers and her statement is wrong, then she has to resign immediately. Once again a complete **** up by a Government made up of a bunch of amateurs. It may only have been a simple slip of the tongue but its potentially cost thousands of jobs and the closure of a great company that makes the only cars I want to buy!

#21 ·
Problem is Rover have shot themselves in the foot on this one by not saying anything earlier.
They should have made a statement earlier in the day.
I think this has all happened so quickly.
Mind you I seem to recall PVH saying the deal with SAIC was going to be wrapped up in Jan.
I think this has come about because SAIC are not selling the volume of cars it was 6 months ago.
Therefore they might have changed the goalposts on MGR.
All a load of rollox!
Why can't us Brits have some good news for once, always seem to be on the losing end of things.

#22 ·
Lucky guy said:
Does anyone else have a sneaking suspicion that this was hurried along nice and early so as to minimise the negative effect on Labours re-election campaign? Sorry to be cynical..

Yes of course she should resign, but whereas before when ministers resigned they faded away for at least a decade, most of Labours seem to resign, admit no wrongdoing, go on the back benches for a year, than get reapointed. Just look at Boomerang Mandleson. So is there any point in her resigning at all?
I think you may be reading a bit too much into it. I just think that's she's incompetant. She probably confused PwC with Recievers. In reality they are much, much more!

#24 ·
This is a monumental ****-up on all sides. I expect Hewitt was told PWC were being brought in but didn't check whether this was as recievers or advisors. The whole thing is making me sick so I'm off to bed in the hope that there is some positive news tomorrow.

#26 · (Edited)
I believe she should,she should have checked with the directors not tony woodley,he does not own the company,the dti are culpable,and the more grief we give hmg over this for her to resign the stronger the case for them to give compensation to MGR. Hmg are vulnerable as there is an election due,lets see how they cope with some bad press in the run up to the election!! That should force their hand and maybe get the torys to offer something to `up` the stakes lets face it they will love the chance to lambast hewitt and labour over this.So,then we can ask,what will you offer in compensation should you get in power? After that it will be a lottery to try and win votes.
But we need to put pressure on and keep it up,contact your local radio stations,and maybe talk sport (they love this kind of thing) and ring \write to your local MP and tell them what you think. I guess the Lib Dems will loose out,but I for one could not vote for a party which advocates making all drugs legal anyway so no loss there.And thats before I even get started on what that tw*t charles Kennedy said about not giving MGR any money `PRAT`.

IVAN

IVAN

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.