MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
other_rover
8,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The original Morris Oxford is about to celebrate it's 50th birthday in India and is likely to go out of production soon. The thought that occured to me was that in a way the Rover 75 looks a bit like a modern interpretation of the Morris Oxford. So is there an opportunity for Nanjing to make a number of sales in India (the other big emerging market) by selling the Rover 75 as a Morris Oxford?

I'm not for a moment suggesting selling this car as a Morris Oxford in many other countries but India seems to have a soft sport for this old English car and a 'new Morris Oxford for a new India' seems to make sense. MG could then possibly sell as the performance brand. Leaving Morris as the mainstream brand which is better known anyway in India.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Are todays Indian drivers aware that the car was a Morris Oxford? They all know it as the 'Amby' out there. Doubt they would make the connection. And any R75 derived car couldn't compete with the Ambassador on price anyway.

Where did you hear that they were gong to stop making it? Last I heard ws that they were committed to going on with it for ever, like Morgan.

·
Registered
rover_75
203 Posts
I think MG problems will be trying to sell warmed up versions of the stale 75 & TF before it can even contemplate India.

·
Registered
mgf
185 Posts
The original Morris Oxford is about to celebrate it's 50th birthday in India and is likely to go out of production soon. The thought that occured to me was that in a way the Rover 75 looks a bit like a modern interpretation of the Morris Oxford. So is there an opportunity for Nanjing to make a number of sales in India (the other big emerging market) by selling the Rover 75 as a Morris Oxford?

I'm not for a moment suggesting selling this car as a Morris Oxford in many other countries but India seems to have a soft sport for this old English car and a 'new Morris Oxford for a new India' seems to make sense. MG could then possibly sell as the performance brand. Leaving Morris as the mainstream brand which is better known anyway in India.
this makes no sense at all. at no time has this car been known as the Morris Oxford in India, but as the Hindustan Ambassador

see http://www.hmambassador.com/

·
Registered
other_rover
8,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Does it matter? If it was marketed as the new Morris Oxford then you would simply leave it to the marketing people to draw the link.

Just a thought really but I think it's important for Nanjing to consider which brand is best known in certain counteries, that's all.

·
Registered
6,361 Posts
I'm sure the Morris brand is known at least a little bit in India - enough to consider using the badge in future on any models sold in the country. That's some way offf unless some deal involves Sonalika.

·
Premium Member
54,941 Posts
I'll ask as I am flying out again tomorrow.

Although not sure what reception I'll get when I mention MGR to my hosts as they are TCS (a part of the Tata Group).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts