MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im changing the backbox on my 1999 214 next week... Should I replace the gasket too? The one between the backbox and mid-section that is...

·
Registered
17,398 Posts
alt said:
Im changing the backbox on my 1999 214 next week... Should I replace the gasket too? The one between the backbox and mid-section that is...
Ofcourse you should, they're only a couple of quid if that and get some asbestos free jointing paste.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ashy said:
Ofcourse you should, they're only a couple of quid if that and get some asbestos free jointing paste.
Whats this paste stuff ive been hearing about? Will my local motor store have it?

·
Registered
446 Posts
It's generally red in colour and referred to as high temperature sealant or exhaust paste etc. At least this is what i ve been using in the past. Say to the guy there at the motor factor what you are up to and he will give you the correct stuff.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
sealent will usually replace the need for a gasket. The stuff i used was grey in colur, messy if you get it on your hands but never the less, good stuff.

·
Registered
580 Posts
its a good idea if you do alot of short journeys to leave a small hole at the bottom of the join for condensation to drip out!!

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ordered a gasket today, hopefully will be in tomorrow.. But not expecting the exhaust until wednesday! Should be fun im goign to terrorise my neighbours for a week ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts