MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
rover_25
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Go

I got this idea from reading past threads on this forum, ok so it may sound like a ridiculous statement but I think its fair.

They stole MINI from us, and now they are raking in the cash big time,
They tore apart and asset stripped Rover,
They managed Rover appallingly,
They own the Rover brand and now intend on flogging it,
They gave Rover to a couple of crazy business men, the Germans knew it would never succeed. They would be treated like heroes whilst the p4 got the blame. (the plan worked perfectly),
I thought the last straw was the fact that BMW were talking about making Triumph badged cars abroad.

The Americans and other dealers don't want the cars because the idea of having 3 car brands as one dealer would not work, so BMW now have the name and they don't intend on selling it. So can't they do at least one dignified thing and hand triumph back to us? It could be to Triumph motorcycles or British Motor Heritage or whatever. I'd rather Truimph was dead but in safe hands rather than stuck on foreign made boxes
________
HERBAL VAPORIZERS

·
Registered
other_rover
8,737 Posts
They won't do it because they want to retain the option of using it, because it is a powerfull brand and because they are running out of ways to expand the BMW and MINI brands.

That said they might license it to someone. David James needs a brand doesn't he?

·
Registered
16,488 Posts
Just because they made a bit of a mistake when managing other British brands unfortunately it doesn't give them entitlement to hand over a brand name to say sorry. If only! But in effect, this would be a different type of poor management

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
598 Posts
ChrisMG said:
The Americans and other dealers don't want the cars because the idea of having 3 car brands as one dealer would not work,

3 Brands! is that all, I don't know what the most brands that BMC/BL/MG-Rover were actually trying to market were but in the 60s they were trying to retain separate identities to a whole family of brand names at the same time.

Perhaps that is a question for Keith but I am sure the company must have peaked in the late 1960's in terms of how many brands they were marketing alongside each other. I can still remember all of the versions of the 1300s, Rileys, Austins, MGs etc.

·
Premium Member
4,430 Posts
I think we have had enough brands that we never did anything with, why add another to the pile.

At least MG and Austin now look set for a revival in foreign hands.

·
Registered
651 Posts
They should hand back the brands that they robbed from MG/ROVER.I think they have TRIUMPH,RILEY,ROVER and MINI.They also have a lot of model names.This country is systematically being taken over by foreign companies.Who would have believed 25 years ago that BENTLEY and ROLLS-ROYCE would have been bought by Germans.It stinks to high heaven.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Well, you can say that, but Bentley and R-R look in better health now than they have done for a long time with the British at the helm. Good luck to them I say, us brits couldn't manage a p***-up in a brewery never mind running a successful car company.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Its all a great shame how the last 10 - 14 yrs has unraveled but even though i will not buy foreign made MG`s austins mini`s triumphs ect .... i would like to see the MG and austin name become a pain in the neck to BMW and show there is still demand for such respected names , id liek bmw to try and fail at triumph put them on the back burner and sell off the name.Whats the latest with david james and the smart ...???

Download esq

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
2,103 Posts
The government is the only entity in British society big enough and focused enough to make a bid for Triumph and set it up with the necessary resources to be a real alternative to Pugeot and BMW.

This is not likely to occur. Government are too worried about Iraq and the NHS to devote attention to places (like the motor industry) where it really should go.

Still, it's not too late to say Government is a nasty bit of work. For their neglect of manufacturing, their infidderence toward home produced automobiles (among other things) they really are a bunch of *******s. But it can be changed, at the polls, by you.

If one could only find a political party willing to support manufacturing, I would say getting such a group into office would be a first step toward restoring the MG-Rover company, and the British auto industry in general.

Umm... yeah. An unlikely scenario.

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
1,496 Posts
ChrisMG said:
I got this idea from reading past threads on this forum, ok so it may sound like a ridiculous statement but I think its fair.

They stole MINI from us, and now they are raking in the cash big time,
They tore apart and asset stripped Rover,
They managed Rover appallingly,
They own the Rover brand and now intend on flogging it,
They gave Rover to a couple of crazy business men, the Germans knew it would never succeed. They would be treated like heroes whilst the p4 got the blame. (the plan worked perfectly),
I thought the last straw was the fact that BMW were talking about making Triumph badged cars abroad.

The Americans and other dealers don't want the cars because the idea of having 3 car brands as one dealer would not work, so BMW now have the name and they don't intend on selling it. So can't they do at least one dignified thing and hand triumph back to us? It could be to Triumph motorcycles or British Motor Heritage or whatever. I'd rather Truimph was dead but in safe hands rather than stuck on foreign made boxes
I don't think I've read such nonsense in years.

BMW developed the MINI brand, they paid all the development costs for the new MINI and they spent a huge sum of money of the BMW plants at Oxford and Hams Hall, where the engines for the new MINI will come from. It was, at no point, stolen from Rover.

There is no evidence BMW asset stripped Rover Group, there is a huge amount of evidence of the colossal investment BMW made at Solihull, Longbridge and Cowley, well in excess of £1 billion. It was this investment and the unfortunate exchange rate situation that forced BMW to sell Rover Group. It wasn't the preferred option of the Quandt family or the board, but a very failsafe decision anyway.

They didn't manage Rover any worse that it had been run at any point under British Leyland or British Aerospace. They allowed Rover to create an excellent car, the Rover 75, and at the time, the retro look was a big seller. There's little evidence of mismanagement in the day to day running of Rover Group, though their longterm business plan for the entire BMW Group does warrant further investigation, interests in jet turbines and JVs with Rolls Royce plc were an ill conceived idea for a company trying to avoid a very palletable takeover by Mercedes, Volkswagen or Porsche. Their JV with Chrysler fell through when Daimler swept in with what amounted to a purchase.

They sold Rover to the only people who had any chance of turning the company around, being shafted by China Brilliance and the TWR administrators seriously damaged and delayed the vital new model, the RD/X60. If TWR had delivered the RD/X60 and/or the China Brilliance deal had happened, instead of the chairman debunking with a suitcase full of nicked cash, then things may be different and with it, some peoples opinions of the Phoenix directors.

Finally, there has, as far as I can tell, been no suggestion that any Triumph would be built overseas. BMW realise how important a British connection would be to any Triumph model so any Triumph would be built most likely at either Oxford or in a new factory close to Hams Hall. The Triumph brand, however, is actually the result of a German businessman, and has as much right resting with a German company as it does with a British company.

The last car to bear a Triumph badge was a foreign contraption, the Honda Ballade.

Any Triumph revival will likely contribute a large sum of money to the British economy and assist in the balance of exports, something to be widely celebrated and not dismissed. Better Triumph making Britain £500 million a year in export payments than it sitting disused.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I cant really disagree with you there nick , sounds like a plan , it is unfortunate how things turned out but thats life as for triumph not many people realise it was a german company , the uk economy could do with it if they were to invest and possably take on a few ex- longbridge workers maybe even they could rent space at longbridge from nanjing would help them with the MG/austin projects . its like fashion it goes round in circles one day it will british owned again.

Download

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Of course they shouldn't. They bought Rover Group and it was theirs to do what they wanted with. The fact that they screwed it up is regrettable but why would they give anything away??

1 - 13 of 13 Posts