MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys,

im looking for a 200 or a 400 sdi for comuting to london next year, ideally want to source one locally, and dont want to trapes through ebay for hours and then going through the whole bidding war! but i cant seem to find many with less than 100k on the clock. . . . are these still worth looking at? wanted a lowish miler as im gonna be doing 20odd k a year and want it to last another 2-3 years . . . any advice would be greatly appreciated

regards

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
34,938 Posts
the L series is bomb proof provided it has been serviced well.

i'd think the shell would have turned into dust before the engine gave up.

·
Registered
870 Posts
You'll struggle to find a 200/400 sdi with less than 100k on th eclock, as the majority of these cars would have been bought because they were needed to do high mileages (being diesels an' all)

Maybe you could consider a newer 25/45 diesel with a high mileage - i bought my 45 diesel with 120k on the clock after 6 years, and 20k miles on its still going fine. Theres no reason why the l-series diesel shouldnt be able to cope with another 60k miles even then.

Buying an older, low mileage 200/400 may prove false economy as you may have just as many problems as a newer, higher milage (but looked after)example when you consider that the engine should be good for the miles in either case.

I'd go for the 400/45 diesels though over the 200/25, as i think the 45 tends to have a better reliability record than the 25 (IMO).

·
Registered
25,606 Posts
don't forget the 600 diesel too. Its a big old bus but it is great for motorway miles. Mine currently has 170 odd thousand miles on the clock and still is reliable, comfy and economical. The condition and maintanince of a car is much more important than the actual milage. Mine has done mostly motorway miles so I expect it to last a fair while longer yet. (Motorway miles are kind to engines etc).

·
Registered
3 Posts
What's local to you? Can't help you with a sub 100K car but I'm looking to sell my 220 (bubble) SDi in the next week or so as I also have an MGF & no longer need two cars.

It's Nightfire Red, with 165k on the clock - most of which is motorway mileage. It's been serviced regularly & all three belts were done 7 months ago so I reckon it's got loads left in it.

Would like it to go to somene who'll appreciate it so if you're interested, (I'm in Marlow, Buckinghamshire) let me know & I'll send you more details.

cheers
Simon

1 - 6 of 6 Posts