MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had a quote from Rimmer Bros to send a wind deflector to me in NZ.

A staggering $600nzd

why do others advertise 100-180sterling ?
Do some businesses subsidise their purchase price by pumping up the shipping costs ?
Or are shipping companies ripping off suppliers ?

Its not just this company, i had a quote for a slightly larger item from USA and they where wanting $746 usd .

What other owners are there that are out side UK and have experienced similar extortion !!

·
Registered
2002 MG TF VE51FTF
408 Posts
I honestly feel for those owners who are based/live outside the UK and you are right to aim it at fellow owners outside the UK which does not include me, but I have noticed recently that a lot of what appears to be exorbitant carriage charges now include local custom/tax charges which can have a significant affect.
I think you need to look at the charges your Gov impose on imports ie if I knew your birthday and sent you a deflector as a birthday present would it incur the same (or any?) charges as one you ordered from Rimmers. The one I bought for you would of course incur VAT here whereas the one you ordered from Rimmers would as export be VAT free, it's not as simple as it first appears. When looking at things like this always remember tax avoidance is legal tax evasion is not, on the bright side you in NZ are staring at spring us poor sods in the UK are looking at winter.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If an item is over $1000NZD with shipping and purchase price combined, then it gets a GST (goods and service tax) of an aditional 15% added plus a customs clearance fee, $20-$30 .
A small increase in cost price quadruples the final costs that come from my pocket.

My question becomes, WHY is there so much variation in shipping charges from different sources ?

On ebay examples, it can vary from 80-90pd to $300pd ?

PS: its been 23d today, mostly sunny, a nice spring day down here in Godsown …

Perfect convertible car day…..

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
To Switzerland, it is not bad but I import smallish items generally from Rimmers. I have concluded that if I want the item, I am going to have to pay. There are not that many alternatives unfortunately but I feel your pain.

The catch on small items, if it goes over the customs threshold, it is the customs + 'admin' charge. Then you end up paying alot in total for small items.

·
Registered
1995 MGF Mpi
1,001 Posts
I live in Canada and have owned an MGF for 11 years now and shipping has significantly increased in the past 2 years or so, especially for larger items. Even Royal Post charges have almost doubled in the past 2 years. The increase in shipping costs are unrelated to Canadian taxes and duties.

·
Registered
6,669 Posts
Personally, I struggle to see why some find a WD such an essential item. I made my own out of a piece of clear Perspex, an aluminium extrusion for the base/mount and some rubber strips to seal and provide some help with vibration. It cost me about £10 all up.

Would I bother again? - probably not, but its bolted in now, so it stays.

·
Registered
'06 MG ZR +120 (HQM) '04 MG ZR 105 (IAB)
9,720 Posts
Have you asked the suppliers in question directly to verify that the shipping quote is correct? (I am assuming this was an automatic shipping quote online, rather than a person to person telephone order). Or have you come straight to the internet to bash one particular company because you have a grouse against them (I notice you carefully avoided naming the US company that you referred to later in your post).

Are you comparing like with like - are both quotes for expedited shipping (by air) or for standard surface shipping? There will be a big difference in cost between the two, but whilst air may reach you in a week or so, surface shipping could take several months - you get what you pay for.

There are also big differences in shipping costs between one carrier and another - some may appear a lot cheaper, but it is very often the case that their standard of care is also less, and customer service and level of insurance cover pretty non-existant if there is a problem and you need to make a claim. Cheap-jack carriers are also more likely to resist paying compensation.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I send MGB OD gearboxes from the UK to the USA on an occasional basis, I have four to go in the next month or so. This is not a money making venture but it helps the 90% of USA MGB's that didn't have OD. When I first started nearly four years ago it cost £175 to ship with Fedex now Fedex are circa £500 but DHL and UPS are a little under £300 for a three day delivery. I found that with the onset of Covid the £175 shipping increased overnight to around £230 and has since climbed slowly by another £50 or so.
There was a long running thread oh the MGExperience Forum about the shipping costs from the UK and Rimmers in particular. Some found that having put their order together and calling Rimmers they got a lower shipping cost. Part of the problem can be that each item has a shipping cost and ten items have ten shipping costs but in reality if they are small items they might ship as one.
Don't think that fast shipping is dearer, a three day delivery for a gearbox is cheaper than a seven day service, the quickest ever was collected on a Monday afternoon from Somerset and delivered to the east coast USA on Wednesday morning their time, total time circa one day twenty three hours with DHL.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts