MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I'm about 95% of the way through removing a rather nice Vi interior.
However I have a single remaining bolt with a torx head stuck holding the driver's side seat in.
I tried to use a T50 bit, but the head of the bolt has sheared, leaving a rather messy looking bolt.
Tried a pair of mole grips, but nothing happened.

Any ideas how to remove this? The car is stuck at a scrappy's, so not sure what to do.

Cheers, Simon.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I assume you mean that the female torx part in the head of the bolt has got chewed up. As suggested you can drill it out. Start with a small drill bit and work your way up through the sizes until you get to about 8mm then the head should just come off. You don't need to drill down very far.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
griffmonster said:
UMmm sheared/rounded off, I must learn the differance!
So you've been using a certain size, and its rounded it off?
I think standard procedure is to get one a size smaller, and hammer that sucker on then go nuts bashing it off.
There was a little pun in there, dont know if any of you spotted it.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I also will have to watch my use of the words "sheared" and "rounded".:(
The inner of the bolt head has rounded off...
Thanks for the idea of a cordless drill, however the one I own is rather weak.
Am thinking of using a chisel to simply snap the head off.

Must admit I really like the look of the Vi interior, now for a Vi Engine!!! :drool:

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
17,398 Posts
Probably end up knackering chisel. These bolts are quite thick.

I don't know which bolt you are talking about cuz you don't say which it is, but if you can get an adjustable on it then using a hacksaw to cut the edges off to leave two flat sides should work. It's what I usually do when I round heads.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
sorry, thought I was clear :(

It's one of the four bolts that holds the drivers seat to the chassis.
I'll be trying a few ideas tomorrow, will post back with my findings incase anyone cares!

Thanks again all, Simon.

·
Registered
17,398 Posts
madmandegge said:
sorry, thought I was clear :(

It's one of the four bolts that holds the drivers seat to the chassis.
I'll be trying a few ideas tomorrow, will post back with my findings incase anyone cares!

Thanks again all, Simon.
Yeh, but which of the four... they are in different places?:err:

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
ashy said:
Probably end up knackering chisel. These bolts are quite thick.

I don't know which bolt you are talking about cuz you don't say which it is, but if you can get an adjustable on it then using a hacksaw to cut the edges off to leave two flat sides should work. It's what I usually do when I round heads.
Recently I had a nightmare getting a valve breather off a mates motor bike I tried everything even had the head upside down in a 4ton vice trying to turn the breather-result rounded even more!! solution was to angle grind a small groove on one side not too deep and cold chisel it so it turned the bugger off, worked a treat.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
the evil one nearest to the centre console :mad:

If I did have a cordless angle grinder, I'd probably cut the chassis instead of the bolt (added fun).

Am leaving soon to go and attempt to remove it!
Wish me luck!

Another question, if I may ask.
Installed the front seat on passenger side, removed the SRS fuse to install. Started car without fuse installed (oops), so turned engine off and reinstalled fuse with ignition off. Now SRS light illuminates, then goes out as normal. Then comes back on =[ Any ideas? Thanks again.

·
Registered
17,398 Posts
madmandegge said:
Another question, if I may ask.
Installed the front seat on passenger side, removed the SRS fuse to install. Started car without fuse installed (oops), so turned engine off and reinstalled fuse with ignition off. Now SRS light illuminates, then goes out as normal. Then comes back on =[ Any ideas? Thanks again.
Make sure the plug is connected for the pretensioner under the seat.
It may just be you have logged a fault with the ECU which is why the light illuminates.
Just make sure everything is ticketyboo then leave it. It should go out on it's own after a few starting cycles.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'll leave it for a few tries today.
The seats are out of a crash damaged car, so thinking the pre-tensioners may have fired? If so will swap them off my current seats.

I can't get underneath the car unfortunately, due to the fact that its at a scrap yard, so I can't just tear the underlining of the car off, ect.

Am off to try hammering/chiseling/hacksawing!

Will report back!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
DEAR GOD!

Took me approximately 3 hrs today, slightly less due to the help of a larger chisel!

None of the plans for removing the bolt worked, so I ended up chiseling/sawing the welded mounts off the chassis.

After this I successfully drilled the bolt through at home (after a few broken drill bits) and removed it.

Suffice to say that the bolt really didn't want to come out!

Now have some nice Vi seats in my car!

Thanks for your help guys! Simon.

P.S. The SRS warning was the fired pretensioners! Replaced with mine, work perfectly.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts