MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering furthering my calligraphy business - I have been a calligraphist for around 20 years and currently I only get commissions by word of mouth. A friend has offered to put links to my website on his business sites and the business he is in could mean a lot of business for me!

The question is...how do I go about setting up a basic site/webpage(???)...easily and as cheaply as possible? All I want to do is put a few examples of my work on the site along with an idea of my prices for work and contact details. If there was a free system I could start off with, even better as I am not sure how much work I may or may not gain yet so don't want to be seriously out of pocket.

Any ideas/advice would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
30,859 Posts
andie its very very easy to make a website.... but if you selling your work, or you need it to look professional.....

you need to first decide on a domain name, once you have decided which is best you need to register it, id advise you choose a company like

http://order.1and1.co.uk/xml/order/....TC33b?ac=OM.UK.UK529K03386T2650a&PID=1556549

where you would get your domain name in with everything else you need. i use 1 and 1 and can recommend them, their control panel is very very easy to use.

going off that price youd be paying 3.99 a month for your own package but that would include a .co.uk domain too as well as all the email accounts youll ever need!

give me a shout if you need any more help with it! as you know im a web designer/developer so just shout if you need anything!

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks hun. Its all a bit pie-in-the-sky at the mo. The guy who took my photos at the weekend said he'd put my business cards (when I get some!) in his shop - he suggested setting up the site and he already recommends me to wedding/blessing clients. Just thought I may get more business if I was more professional! LOL!

·
Registered
27,730 Posts
what program would you use to do your website, sorry i'm not clever. Do you then upload it?

sorry Andie to hijack, :errx2:

·
Registered
30,859 Posts
youll get more business from word of mouth to be honest.... but having a website will obviously give you that professional look, as will some high quality business cards!

if your getting business cards printed andie try and stick in the extra few quid and get them printed properly, i really cant stress this enough to clients!

andie drop me a line if you need anything - ill be happy to help out

@ artful i use dreamweaver to make my sites, and then cuteftp to upload them. although im not sure you wouldnt need this software for a personal site!

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
34,938 Posts
I use fireFTP (a firefox extension)

if you need any help with the domain/hosting - I've got plenty of bandwidth going and i'l be more than happy to host it for you.

·
Registered
14,750 Posts
My advice...

Just ask someone to make it for you, telling them what you want.
Will not cost much, and they can sort it out for you.

The problems you may have with that are updating - will you be doing much updating?

·
Registered
6,786 Posts
You best bet is to do a deal with someone for example I am a professional web developer I am getting married next year and I found someone who does similar to you and agreed to make them a site in exchange for invites.
In fact I have done that for almost everything for the wedding including the dresses.

·
Registered
10,545 Posts
Andie.. I've only just seen this, whilst searching for a post you made a while back (hope I don't forget what I was originally looking for, now!)..

I have my own website (www.spirit-of-nature.co.uk )
It's very basic, and very easy to build/update.. and very free!

I host/build it through Tripod.
It does have adverts on it, because it's free, but you can upgrade, to get rid of the ads.
It also comes complete with a site-builder, which is ideal for me, and very easy to use.

I bought my domain name from www.123-reg.co.uk , and it costs me about £6 for 2 years.
That's all I pay for anything.. there are no extra charges.
With this, I can choose where my domain name will take people. So I just typed in the URL of the website I built through Tripod, so all my visitors who type www.spirit-of-nature.co.uk into their browser, get re-directed to my site.
Some folks may argue that it's not a very professional way of doing it, but it's easy, it's cheap, and it does the job for me :)

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Dee after taking all that time to tell Andie B about free web site stuff and to show they can make money.

so i have gone and brough a "One-Ring Dreamcatcher Colour ~: Lilac"

So get to work young lady :)

·
Registered
30,859 Posts
Dee said:
Some folks may argue that it's not a very professional way of doing it, but it's easy, it's cheap, and it does the job for me :)
but the problem is is that your shooting yourself in the foot...if your site makes you money at present, imagine the amount of money you could be making with a professionally built site that is search engine friendly?!

if its not making you any money now then its definalty not worth it!

all imo

ARGH!!! just noticed its made in FRAMES!!!

·
Registered
30,859 Posts

·
Registered
30,859 Posts
i totally disagree, there are several alternatives, you just have to put a bit more thought into it

first and foremost you could teach yourself - i done this, im now a full time web designer/developer and starting my own company. cant be that hard if i can do it!

if your wanting a bigger site, which requires a little more than html knowledge, youll obvioulsy have to pay someone, or get a uni student to make your site for their project, or get a start up business to make you one on the cheap. you could also get a business to make you one but get funding from business link (if your a business that is)

you could also buy an off the shelf package. you could use oscommerce, or a similar free online shopping cart (if its shopping carts your interested in)

theres loads of alternatives! but if you want your customers to see your a professional you need a professional website. would you hand over your hard earned money to an online store who didnt look professional?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts