MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
mgf
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks,
Took my 2001 MGF 1.8i into the local dealers the other day for its 4 year serice (50500 on the clock) and an MOT. They called today to say that it needs about £1,000 worth of stuff fixing to get through the MOT. This is on top of the cost of the service!
New pads & discs all round, a new shock absorber, something about the shock absorber mounting and a new radiator! I only got the car 6 months (and 5,000 miles) ago from the very same dealer.
Am I going to have to shel lout this kind of money every spring? Surely this isn't typical!
Any comments welcome
Nige

·
Registered
17,075 Posts
With normal maintenance at scheduled intervals wear and tear will be found and consumables will be needed. I wouldn't be surprised at new disks being needed at 50k, dependant on earlier driving styles. Always replace pads when disks are changed. Shock absorbers wear out and need replacing.

"something about the shock absorber mounting" is a bit trickier. It is not uncommon for the rear shock mount to crack and need a reinforcing plate welding in. This is often the result of lowering and fitting stiffer suspension but can occur with standard. Of course, it could just need new rubber bushes - depends what "something" really means.

There is a bit of history with corroded radiators; worth changing considering the HGF history. Never take chances with the cooling system.

These prices are for non-standard, uprated items so standard would be a bit less.

FRONT BRAKE KIT
Contains pair of EBC turbo grooved front brake dics and set of EBC Roadsport Greenstuff front brake pads </FONT>Price: £ 135.95 KIT

REAR BRAKE KIT
Contains pair of EBC turbo grooved rear brake discs and set of EBC Roadsport Greenstuff front brake pads </FONT>Price: £ 135.98 KIT

GAZ Shocks
Adjustable shocks from GAZ,
specially designed for the MGF.
Adjust the shocks to suit your
own specific ride. Easy access
to the adjustable dial.

Subject to availability £40.71 each +vat

MGF RADIATOR
Price: £126.90 each

My 50k '96 VVC failed MOT needing track rod ends (quick & cheap), Catalyst & Exhaust (not excessive). I had already changed disks/pads all round myself as a normal precaution.

Sound like you have a combination of 4/5 & 6 year wera at the same time. Should be OK for a couple of years after that. The next service is the biggie with cambelt replacement.

·
Registered
mgf
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that Sprinter - very helpful! I was planning to get Mike Satur to do the big cambelt service next year. Looks like I may have no choice anyway with the probable demise of my local dealer. Had to get this one done at the dealer because the car is still under warranty (not that it ever seems to cover things that go wrong!) until the autumn. Cheers.

·
Registered
mgf
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well it was £1212 in the end. Ouch. New brakes & discs all round, a new shock absorber, a new radiator and a 4 yr service. Just been out tonight though - driving better than ever. All ready for the summer. Lovely.

·
Registered
47,841 Posts
nige said:
Well it was £1212 in the end. Ouch. New brakes & discs all round, a new shock absorber, a new radiator and a 4 yr service. Just been out tonight though - driving better than ever. All ready for the summer. Lovely.
Ouch indede, glad that you are pleased still tho, thats all that matters.

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
Nige.

>>A new shock absorber<<

As in replaced a `Single one`, if so this is not good, shocks like tyres, brakes etc should allways be replaced in pairs!! (same axle), otherwise the balance/handling of your car could be affected!.

·
Registered
mgf
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah I thought that too. Maybe it was a pair. Still a bit dazed over the bill....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts