MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive got my second service comming up and i was wondering if i need to take my zs 120+ to the dealership or can i get someone else to do it, because the last time it cost me a fortune, this was because i bought the car when it was 1 year old but it was brand new (4mls on the clock) i bought it from makro motors i dont know where they got them from but it cost me £8500 which i still think was a great buy as the dealer was wanting a lot more and i was advised by a salesman to go and buy it, which i did.
but i thought i should get a service done since the car has been sitting for a year.
i took it to the dealer and they done the service ok but the bill at the end was a joke all they done was lube up the doors etc and change the air filter, they said everything else was good, but it cost me £156 (27 quid was parts) so i was a bit
pissed off with that as you can imagine.

so if anyone knows a good garage in glasgow that will do the car while still maintaining the warranty it would be much appreciated.

cheers.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
The way things are today i don't think it will make much diffrence were we have them serviced.My ZR is due it's second service soon,so time for a re-think.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I think as long as they use genuine MG Rover parts you can get it done at any reputable garage without affecting the warranty. They should also be able to stamp your service book and state MG parts used.

£156 sounds pretty normal for a dealership service I think, but most of the cost as you state are in the labour charge hourly rate. I would look for something around £30 Per Hour Labour charge to get your price down a bit or check around your local dealerships to see who charges the lowest rate.

·
Registered
mg_zs
38 Posts
A couple of days ago I asked my local MG Rover dealer in Manchester for an estimated price for the first service (coming up in July) on my MG ZS+ 120. He consulted his "squeeze the pips 'til they squeak" manual, and quoted me between £240 and £260. The doctors assure me that the shock will wear off in a couple of weeks time. Your 156 odd quid sounds pretty reasonable after that.

·
Registered
30 Posts
My local dealer does three types of service. gold, silver and bronze.
A silver service cost me £98 which included oil+ filter, spark plugs, air filter, a a bit of f**ing about.
By the way they were CRAP! I had the car back and the coolant expansion tank was empty!!!

·
Registered
30 Posts
I forgot to add with regards to your new MG its always advisable a car has an oil change as part of a time related service because it has a shelf life. This means anti wear additives and anti foaming agents in the oil break down over time if subjected to atmospheric conditions ( i.e- not in an air tight container) for a period of about 12- 18 mths.

·
Registered
mg_zs
1,274 Posts
The warranty - if it is still worth anything - stipulates that the car must be serviced to the MGR specification. (as defined on a check list) If whoever services the car uses this and MGR pars and reccomended lubricants, I do not believe that there will be a problem. (confirm this by reading the warranty section of your handbook)

Make sure you obtain a document stating exactly what has been done and the parts / consumables used. State this before you agree a price and (in writing) that way you are leaving no doubt that you want the work done properly. If the garage is not prepared to do this.... walk away.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts