MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi there guys the problem in a nutshell is with my rover 416 1998 again! (these cars are the worst cars ever)

anyway the head gasket failed, i had replaced it timed it up and wouldnt start, i had been out by two teeth, finally sorted it and now the engine woulnt turn over battery is fully charged, all connectors are connected and everything is in place. i thopught the 8 month old starter motor had sezied as there was a current of 12.8 v going thorough to the starter. after rocking it back and forth for an hour i had called it quits for the day. the next day i decided to take of the starter motor and see if the solenoid had jammed. after a test the starter was fine. i stilled tried to rock the car in reverse gear at first and then in first and still nowt movement. i had then jacked up the car and decided to use a socket on the the pulley and manually wind the crak shaft. the crankshaft pulley would move only 3/4 one way and back, but not a full revolution. it seems like the crankshaft has jammed at a certain point, even though there i can rotate about 320 degrees one way and reverse rotate it 320 degrees. what could be the problem? please guys i need your help. all suggestions will be much appreciated.

·
Registered
rover_75
1,684 Posts
lock up

It sounds like you may have damaged a valve if you've tried to turn the engine with it mistimed. Sorry but I would strip the whole thing back, check for damage and rebuild very carefully, double checking everything (TWICE)
It may be that you find something before you take it right back so check carefully.
All the best
Mike T

·
Registered
mg_zs
1,274 Posts
After refitting a head and once a cam belt is on, take the spark plugs out and very gently turn the crank by using a socket. Do a couple of turns just to make sure everything is OK. Then recheck the timing marks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts