MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like I'll be leaving the R75 section of this forum soon sadly.

Ill-health has meant early-retirement and lack of dosh for me. Now going on incapacity benefit so much loved CDT now on eBay. It's reached its reserve price so looks like we're parting company.

This has been an excellent forum for advice and matters Rover 75. Thanks for the replies I've had to my queries, not been many as the car is so good.

I will still need a cheap runabout that can pull a caravan, I used to have a Rover 400 SDi Turbo diesel (with a RoverRon box - thanks Ron, it made a big difference!) which did alright with a lightish caravan. Wondered about getting another or maybe a Rover 600 Turbo diesel. They share the same engine, but different bodies, anybody compared or owned both; which is nicer to drive/own/tow vans with, comments appreciated. Both seem to be very cheap and plentiful.

Thanks
Henry

·
Banned
9,909 Posts
Hi Henry,

I'm really sorry to hear of your circumstances :(

You will always be welcome so do stick around here and on the club site. Best of luck with your health and evereything.

Regards

Mike :)

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
You don't have to have a 75 to be here Henry, obviously sorry to read that it's going though.

Don't forget to tell the new owner to join the club!

·
Registered
mg_zt
1,311 Posts
henryrym said:
Looks like I'll be leaving the R75 section of this forum soon sadly.

Ill-health has meant early-retirement and lack of dosh for me. Now going on incapacity benefit so much loved CDT now on eBay. It's reached its reserve price so looks like we're parting company.

This has been an excellent forum for advice and matters Rover 75. Thanks for the replies I've had to my queries, not been many as the car is so good.

I will still need a cheap runabout that can pull a caravan, I used to have a Rover 400 SDi Turbo diesel (with a RoverRon box - thanks Ron, it made a big difference!) which did alright with a lightish caravan. Wondered about getting another or maybe a Rover 600 Turbo diesel. They share the same engine, but different bodies, anybody compared or owned both; which is nicer to drive/own/tow vans with, comments appreciated. Both seem to be very cheap and plentiful.

Thanks
Henry
what spec is it?

I'm looking to upgrade one of my R25s for a 75 CDT. the 2.0TD would pull a caravan without too much hassle :)

·
Premium Member
31,560 Posts
Ah, I noticed yours on eBay, sadly went a bit above my budget :(

edit: Ah, got confused, wasn't outside by budget (although suspect it will go that way), but wasn't a Conneissor spec.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi

Thanks for for the support.

Yes, Steve, that's me on eBay. Someone's going to get a bargain as it's lovely car in super nick!

Herzlos, it's the Club spec - the minimum to go for. The Conniesseur(? spelling doesn't look right!) version has leather seats, fog lamps and CD changer + more optional goodies. The Club has velour seats, climate control - a pretty good spec. The Classic is too basic for me - taxi drivers tend to buy these 'no frills' version. To be honest, once you get to Club level it's quite easy to add foglamps etc. What's far more important after a few year's use is that the car has been well looked after and has a service history than that it's got an obselete sat nav system or a clapped out CD player - the trim level isn't very important, it's all well made and needs deliberate misuse to make it look tatty or worn in any version.

As far as a R25 is concerned, there are two issues. Firstly, the body weight would be too light (according to Caravan Club recommendations the loaded caravan should be no more than 85% of the car's weight for stability). The 400 is only just heavy enough for my caravan, the 600 is slightly better. Secondly, I can get a 400/600 Tubo Diesel for about £1500 - any R25/45 will be more!

Herzlos pm me if you want more details, as my R75 is up for sale locally and I have reserved the right to withdraw it from eBay if someone was to meet my price locally before the eBay auction finishes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts