MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Daughter has asked me if she will help her sell her MGTF.
It is a red TF, 53 plate with a soft AND hardtop, both in good condition. included in the sale is a complete head gasket change kit including water pump, head gasket, tensioner bearing, oil filter, head bolts. etc. I had intended to do the work myself but time and space has not allowed me to do so.
The car is not running just now so the buyer will need to arrange transportation, we are located near Southampton
Best offer wins.

Phil

·
Registered
917 Posts
Phil. In your shoes, I would get one of the mobile mechanics to do the work before selling. 1. Your daughter may decide to keep the car as a result or 2. You will get a better price because the risk has been eliminated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Phil. In your shoes, I would get one of the mobile mechanics to do the work before selling. 1. Your daughter may decide to keep the car as a result or 2. You will get a better price because the risk has been eliminated.
I understand your idea Julian but, my daughter has another car and I don’t have time to do the work and the car is in the way hence we are happy to sell to the best offer.

·
Registered
mg_tf
659 Posts
Julian has it I think.
A non-running TF needing a head gasket will attract offers as scrap. A few hundred pounds to a mobile mechanic turns it into a working sports-car.
It's like folk selling cars with no MOT that have to be trailered away- usually described as "easy fix". It might well be true but the huge majority of potential buyers just haven't got the ability to uplift the cars.
Obviously down to the vendor. If she's happy to accept 3 or 4 hundred quid to get rid fair enough.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Agree with skellum's comments above, even with the hard top and HG kit provided it is worth probaably no more than £300-£400. sell the hard top separate and look at no more than £300 max.

As a comparison for you and your daughter I purchased a 2006 TF recently which has had the head stripped off it ready for fitting a new HG. Apart from a poorly repaired dent on the ns rear quarter it is in very good condition, with leather interior, good tyres and genuine windbreak. I didn't really want the whole car, I just wanted the red glass windowed soft top which is in very good condition to fit to my 75th anniversary. I paid £350 for the car. Currently I am undecided whether to strip and sell for spares or replace the HG, get the dent repaired professionally swap the hood and sell for around £1200+

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Gents, all good advice and ideas, thank you. Unfortunately neither my daughter or I have the time or patience to get the car back on the road, we are not looking to get good money for it hence it is as I said up for offer, highest offer wins.

·
Registered
mg_zr
866 Posts
My Daughter has asked me if she will help her sell her MGTF.
It is a red TF, 53 plate with a soft AND hardtop, both in good condition. included in the sale is a complete head gasket change kit including water pump, head gasket, tensioner bearing, oil filter, head bolts. etc. I had intended to do the work myself but time and space has not allowed me to do so.
The car is not running just now so the buyer will need to arrange transportation, we are located near Southampton
Best offer wins.

Phil
Hi Phil,

myself and one other keep these cars on the road whenever we can, I would like to save yours but transportation costs and a non runner could be potentially very expensive, my offer would be £200

This is me FOR SALE: 1998 MGF VVC (Nightfire Red) - Spares or Repairs - The MGF Register Forums

·
Registered
5,360 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts