MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
rover_45
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been looking to upgrade my 416 for a while and was about to take the plunge with an 820 vitesse however, I also have the chance of a 620si. I've always liked the 600 but never had the chance of a good one at a good price. Had a look at the pros and cons but I would like to hear opinions from users rather than journos. So, is it a worthy upgrade from my '98 416. It seems a bit thirstier without any gains in performance although it will be smoother on motorway runs. I've read the rear legroom isn't that great but it does look bigger on the outside. So any recomendations, opinions or advice to offer? It would be much appreciated. It is a '99 v reg by the way.

·
Registered
rover_200_coupe
694 Posts
Man, I just sold a 600si for £300 but was a 96 where yours is a better year.

I loved the 600 series, especially the Ti.. but the si was equally as comfortable etc and was so under rated. You are also correct about rear leg room it isn't much which disappointed me a little but it is still comfortable for long journeys all round.

Some of the faults common to the 600 are...
A)Drivers side window sticking/turned off/fallen off the rails
B)Rear brake calipers seizing
C)Little rust around rear arches and in boot due to seals perishing.
D)Central locking not working.

Also on this car, there was the Magic Red key that you could not insert for risk of frying the ECU (it actually just put it into learning mode and needed a workbook to get it out) but the red key also came with a bar code for having new keys cut and without it the car was worthless, but not sure they had it on the V, think they stopped it around 1998... 96 and 97 defo had it though. So thats worth finding out.

Ultimately though its a lot of car for not a lot of money and was designed with mid range executives in mind to compete with some of BMW's range... never did though, there was so much more they could of done to boost its appeal, such a waste.

Anyway, I would buy another 600 without battering an eyelid and once I get rid of the bag of crud brava... I will be looking for one to compliment the coupe.

Good luck, how much is he asking by the way?

Sean

·
Registered
rover_45
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that. The screen price is £995 with 6 months tax and years worth of MOT. Hopefully should knock him down a bit tho'. I did read about that key somewhere but I think it was round about '97 ish they stopped doing it. Still having a think about it, not too sure if it is really a worthwhile upgrade from the 416 or not. I need a car for work that will be happy driving about town as well as taking the kids out and about at the weekend. The wife has a zafira for running the kids about but to me it's a pile of poop, even worse she has put a pink steering wheel cover on it! Anybody know a good divorce lawyer?

·
Registered
812 Posts
My car is November 1998 registered, and has a red key. As far as I know, red keys continued to the end of production.

A red key is a good thing because if you lose your normal key, having the red key means you can get new keys made up and programmed. Without the red key, you would need to have your ECU, ignition, locks and keys all changed. As has been said though, don't ever try and use the red key to start the car, it's only for dealer use.

The later 600s had slightly lower suspension which improved handling, and a different steering column which improved the 'feel' of the steering.

I can certainly recommend the 600.

·
Registered
rover_200_coupe
694 Posts
Really a grand is all its money, his not doing you any favours

There is one here on a 99 for £995 with aircon, derv, and leather internals.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1999-Rover-600-GSDI-Turbo-Diesel-Leather-AC-F-Rover-SH_W0QQitemZ180098489441QQcategoryZ18262QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

With this being a 99 plate you both are right about the red key going to the end of production it seems but if you do go for it, you MUST make sure it has it... as if you ever loose your keys... well..doesn't bare thinking about.

But I forgot to mention it was fine for local driving, I did a lot of local miles and also longer trips down to Plymouth and Norfolk in it and it was always a pleasure never a chore.

The only problem I have seen with the 600 is the size and scuff marks on the bumper. I never had a problem with it, but might be worth getting a reverse sensor installed.

As for the MRS and her pink steering wheel cover! That would be burnt if I ever borrowed it! lol...even seen pink GPS units on the market now.. the world has gone mad!

Sean

·
Registered
9,970 Posts
ALL of the engines in the 600 are very robust weather its the Honda engine, the Rover engine ti or the diesel providing they have normal servicing they will go on and on. The front electric window mechanisms are a bit naff and are quite common for them to wear/brake, my uncles you cant open either of the front windows as they will fall. But a pair of new mechanisms and they will last for years. Rear leg room is better than in the 400.

·
Registered
rover_45
11,619 Posts
I always liked my 600's but they have the most worst turning circule of any Rover. A ocean liner could turn quicker ,maybe not. But it's one thing to check out as to get up my drive became a 5 point turn instead of 3. But it was smooth and had a loverly bit of class to it on the inside and outside. But in the end time came to change and an 800 won my heart. But I di have two 600's a 620 SLI auto which was a K reg and a P reg 620 SLDI. The diesel won on economy, performance and reliability. The Honda unit started to give trouble after 6 years but the L series still kept going. The red key came in around November 96 and staid till the end. The early 600's had an infa-red fob which is a night mare to sort these days so best avoid the early ones unless you like unlocking and locking with the key.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Rover 600

Just sold my 1998 600 SLI , 119000 miles , all i ever had to replace was tyres and exhaust,still performed well she did not complain when pushed hard, more space than the 400, fuel econormy was good despite it being a 2 ltr lump all i would say is make sure good service history.

Only sold because i wanted a zt and the ti i spotted was sold very quickly.

You will have a good choice , go for the higher spec models if poss unless your heart is set on this paticular vehicle.haggle hard

BEST REGARDS
mgzt190

·
Registered
738 Posts
with regards to rear leg room. I am 6ft tall and like to sit far back when driving. So the driviers seat is as far back as it will go, or if not very nearly. With this in mind i got into the back of the car a few days ago as i was fiddling with speakers and noticed that i could sit behind the drivers seat with it in full back position. There wasn't a great deal of room but i fitted! i couldn't do that in my old 3 series! (or the mini haha)

edit: its a ti btw

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
547 Posts
You have hit all the main points on this post. My advice would be to go for the 623 GSI Manual. A great car with the bomb proof Honda power unit. It was the Rover that could really stand up against BMW in the same sector of the market. The 75 was buggered by HGF and stupid niggles. Look out for one with good rear arches though. Good luck. Jim

Some of the faults common to the 600 are...
A)Drivers side window sticking/turned off/fallen off the rails
B)Rear brake calipers seizing
C)Little rust around rear arches and in boot due to seals perishing.
D)Central locking not working.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Been looking to upgrade my 416 for a while and was about to take the plunge with an 820 vitesse however, I also have the chance of a 620si. I've always liked the 600 but never had the chance of a good one at a good price. Had a look at the pros and cons but I would like to hear opinions from users rather than journos. So, is it a worthy upgrade from my '98 416. It seems a bit thirstier without any gains in performance although it will be smoother on motorway runs. I've read the rear legroom isn't that great but it does look bigger on the outside. So any recomendations, opinions or advice to offer? It would be much appreciated. It is a '99 v reg by the way.
i'm on my third 600 now, i had a 620i base spec to start with, it would way out perform a 416! lovely on the motorway and i don't remember it being all that thirsty, about 35mpg if not more, really depends on how its driven, i also a 623ls after that. that was a gti killin beauty that was! all from the comfort of an on-board leather armchair! i'm now the owner of a 620ti! what a machine!!! to sum them up then, they are very cheap to buy, even a real minter, none of them are particularly slow( unless you get the 618!) most are reasonable on fuel, they are all very comfy motorway land barges, and in my opinion still look quite fresh and up to date. oh yeah.. forgot to say, i have yet to break down in a 600! not like my other cars!

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
All 600's are good.

Watch out for:

Rust on rear arches - if the car is looked after, it should not have any.

Electric window regulators fail and are expensive to sort.

All had red keys til the end of production.

Front brake discs can be a MAJOR pain to change as they are on from behind the hub.

Ti and diesels cars are less robust than the Honda powered cars, in my own experience this is mainly due to the Rover engines installation though and not the actual power units. - e.g. Power steering leaks, gear linkeage wear issues, etc which you don't get with the Honda ones.

Honda engines are thirsty for their size and when the cam belt needs doing, the balance belt needs doing too.

I had a Ti up to near 130K, cared for it and it was a fantastic car.

The facelift ones are the ones to go for, as above they had some steering and suspension changes, better trim and some niggles ironed out.

They astarted in 1997 and have coloured door handles to match the body.

Pay peanuts as you are unlikely to get much back for one, except for a nice Ti or a diesel which have a little more fan base.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
actually the facelifts ( MK2 ) started in 1996 but continued to have black door strips etc until late 1997 when the door strips, handles and mirror got colour coded.

i miss mine :sad3:

but not too much.......

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
I think it is only post facelift, which I would have said meant the coloured door handle versions, but have been corrected slightly on that in the post(s) above.

So, I think it is normal for your car NOT to have one.

·
Registered
25,606 Posts
All 600's are good.

Watch out for:

Rust on rear arches - if the car is looked after, it should not have any.

Ti and diesels cars are less robust than the Honda powered cars, in my own experience this is mainly due to the Rover engines installation though and not the actual power units. - e.g. Power steering leaks, gear linkeage wear issues, etc which you don't get with the Honda ones.
Rust on wheel arches should be less of a problem after 97 as they revised the rear bumper design to avoid the rot trap.

I'd argue that the rover engines were better than the honda ones. Certainly the diesels go on forever.

Rear leg room is a bit dissapointing but it is acceptable.
Long trips and motorways are where the cars really excel. they were built for cruising.
Handling isn't wonderful but it is comfy.

That said parking is usually pretty easy once you get used to the steering. Its certainly easier to park than the 416 saloon I had before it.

The honda engined versions are worth peanuts now. The rover engined models (turbo petrol and turbo diesel), are worth more. The diesel is the most reliable. The petrol turbo tends to consume gearboxes especially if thrashed or fiddled with.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Just god dam buy one !!!:p

·
Premium Member
mg_zt_t
21,902 Posts
Just god dam buy one !!!:p
That's a cracker ...:rofl:

Good advice though ~ find a nice example and you wont go wrong.

In common with most Rovers and MGs, ( cos they're Britsh Dummy! ) hugely underestimated from day one!

·
Registered
rover_45
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for the advice guys. I will be heading down to glasgow tomorrow to take it for a test drive and, hopefully, do a deal.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts