MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive heard of these and as far as i know they are legal.

But if a TVR (who i think make them) drove by the police i think theyd decided not to chase.

But if my modded ZR drives by, do you think it will get the unwelcomed attention it dosent deserve??

THey are legal, but do you think il get pulled by the polis anyways as there unusual and to be honest i havent seen any myself.

Cheers

PS - it just saves me having to re-route and reposition the lights that light up the rear plate.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
AndBurG said:
yes they are legal but i believe they still need wiring up they dont simply light uop themselves

andy
They still need wiring up?? thought that was the whole point of them beig self illuminating, like glow in the dark.

Ah well may as well re-route the cable lights etc anyways.

The plan is to take the recess out of the back of my MK2 bumper and situate the plate between my soon to come porsche style duplex exhaust.

Shouldnt be to hard to move the lights etc, should it??

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
TVR number plates are made using a special material on the back which is translucent yellow reflective, which allows the boot lights to shine through, eliminating the need for external number plate lights. These plates are manufactured in a similar way to traditional plates, however the reflective material used on the back is very different, it is about three times thicker than traditional reflective, and has a sticky back, so when you are ready to fit the plate, just peel of the backing, and stick this straight onto the car. The plate absorbs the light from behind and lights up the whole plate at night.
We sell these from £25.00 plus postage.
There is also a something else to bear in mind... We use to use a different reflective to what we use now, our new reflective is twice as expensive to buy then the older translucent material, however the cheaper material did not have very good back light qualities, so we changed the reflective in September 2005, and are now using a new type by 3M. This is by far the best material I have ever seen and we feel worth paying the extra for.

Coming very soon a picture of one of the new plates on a TVR!

To order these plates, please go on to our plate builder by clicking here, once on then just follow the questions asked, and you will end up with the correct plate. I.E. To order a rear TVR plate select - Car - Show plate/ Legal - Rear plate - Acrylic - white/yellow. This will open the correct page on the order. Then in the rear drop down list, select TVR rear plate.

Am i right in saying the plate needs light coming from behind it ie from the car??

Seems a bit daft.

Think il re-route unless its funny money to do so.

·
Registered
15,938 Posts
i was wrong, sorry

interesting for legality as it wont actually be "lit" just recting any ambient light better, so driving downa country lane in the dark it wont be very visible

also the plate is on the show plates section and is not available on the legal plates section

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
AndBurG said:
i was wrong, sorry

interesting for legality as it wont actually be "lit" just recting any ambient light better, so driving downa country lane in the dark it wont be very visible
Think you were right mate:

TVR number plates are made using a special material on the back which is translucent yellow reflective, which allows the boot lights to shine through, eliminating the need for external number plate lights

Still need lit up, but use an internal light coming from behind. they say the boot lights, but my boot lights dont come on unless the boot has been opened.

·
Registered
526 Posts
It would make the rear alot better for someone relocating the no. plate tho - instead of using those light bolts.

·
Registered
117 Posts
TVR's just have a more translucent plate and a bulb behind the plate and the fact that the plate is more see though lets the light pass through it this is because they dont like things likke boot lights or aerials sticking out and ruining the lines of the cars. My dad has one and this new garage we used tried to fail it on its MOT because there are no lights shining onto the plate but the bulb behind had gone and he didnt think to look.

·
Registered
15 Posts
do you mean the ones you can turn on and off and have your numbers disappear (not advocating it all btw)

they're called electrochromatic plates,
loads of bikes in the states have em,

its LCD type technology
they have to be powered constantly though to have a number, you switch them off and the number disappears?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts