MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
mg_zt_t
21,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seen a fiver offered for a scrap Ford Ka recently and a member here was offered £30 cash to take away his MG ZT.

Those two cars would have fetched around £100 and £200 respectively a couple of years ago. Four years ago, a high mileage 620ti with most of the useful parts including good wheels and tyres removed I got £178 for. Mind you, that was back in the time when China was buying every bit of scrap metal it could get its hands on.

Strangely, surprisingly and conversely, my son and I have sold a couple of scrap Catalytic Converters for £15 and £20 posted on ebay. Peugeot and Rover ( broken up internals ) respectively. We were going to throw them away at the next scrap yard visit.... :dunno: Glad we did not do that.

With that in mind, I did some searching on ebay and have seen recently completed auctions for scrap Rover Cats going for over £100 EACH! Further research show a batch of 14 scrap CATs on ebay go for over £1000!!

The above simply does not equate. Complete cars worth far less than their Cats!

·
Registered
25,606 Posts
The scrap steel price is suffering because of many things, but imports from China is one obvious cause, and the raw materials prices have also fallen.

So at the moment scrap steel is virtually worthless. The price of new steel has also gone the same way too sadly.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yep, many people want to find or to buy the original details for their cars and you should think before giving your car to the scrap. I was in the same situation and I made all the documents with their help Scrap my car: What is a COD or Certificate of Destruction? - Car.co.uk FAQs, to escape from my old car, but one friend advised me to sell on details and I made it. It was difficult but I made much more than I thought.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts