MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
36,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I just had the pleasure of driving past the road leading from the local school at 3pm. Which, for those part-timers, is evidently the end of class. :)

Dodging the kamikaze pushbikes I can deal with. But why do the Mercs pull at top speed out of side turnings? And when a Japanese SUV came straight at me at speed when I had right of way on a single-lane stretch, I sexistly and blondeistly imagined what the driver looked like.

I won't say anything about the driver, other than she was not a brunette, but, believe me, experiences like that reinforce people's unfair prejudices ;)...

EDIT This really belongs in Other Motoring Chat...

·
Registered
36,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You sure that wasn't an X5? :lol:
No, the X5 is probably the most common SUV on the school run. It may have been one of those Toyotas the bonnet bit looks too flat on (RAV4?), or else a Honda.

As for the driver being driven mad by the interior noise, these cars are just as bad with just the driver. Particularly on the way to pick the kids up, as the driver is often late...

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
One benefit of being, err, in-between jobs, is that I can choose when I go to the supermarket. :D

2pm is quite a good time. Most of the brats are at school. The queues at the tills are not bad, and the car park is not packed.

If you go much later you hit the mums with under-5s doing the shopping on the way to pick up the school kids. Worse still is around 4pm when other mums have got the entire tribe with them. It's hell then.

·
Registered
27,269 Posts
One benefit of being, err, in-between jobs, is that I can choose when I go to the supermarket. :D

2pm is quite a good time. Most of the brats are at school. The queues at the tills are not bad, and the car park is not packed.

If you go much later you hit the mums with under-5s doing the shopping on the way to pick up the school kids. Worse still is around 4pm when other mums have got the entire tribe with them. It's hell then.
8:30 PM I found to be fantastic :D

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
it's probably nothing to how it is outside at work during school pickup hours... it is absolute *CHAOS*

i'll get some pictures some day, it's amazing there hasn't been any fatalities!

·
Registered
36,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

It evidently depends when the schools finish.

After the 7.30am rush hour to get to work (which keeps going on the major roads) there is an 8.30am-ish school-run rush which is far worse. Then there are the kindergartens and prep schools that seem to get going between 9 and 9.30.

The afternoons are really bad at this time of year as the builders etc. knock off a bit earlier. The school run merges into the evening rush hour, so the driving is bad throughout from 3pm to 7pm.

Um - yes, that's an hour with 240 minutes in it! :lol:

The best times for supermarket shopping in the whole week IMHO are Tuesday and Wednesday, 10-12am (before the kindergartens kick out again!)

Saturdays at about 7.30pm are good, but sometimes the fresh stuff has all gone.

As for night-time shopping, at 10pm nearly all the tills close, giving you huge queues for say 15 minutes, and at 11pm the shelf-stackers start, so trolleys piled with cardboard block the aisles for the punter...

·
Registered
rover_75_tourer
193 Posts
Send'um all to boarding school. This will reduce the number of school runs to 6 a year and should ensure the little brats are better behaved as they will be grateful the few opportunities to live at home!

·
Registered
36,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Send'um all to boarding school. This will reduce the number of school runs to 6 a year and should ensure the little brats are better behaved as they will be grateful the few opportunities to live at home!
...yes, that or else they will get up to no good.

Using a map showing where everyone else is is just the start of it.

Then, at the age of 12, they'll nick the flying family Ford Anglia and crash it into a sentient willow tree in the grounds of the school (no better driving there(!) ;) )

and, before you know it, the whole world is devastated in a primordial battle between good and evil.

Is that what you want? Because that's what you're going to get... :lol:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts