MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI can any one please help. i have bought a second hand factory sat nav for my mgzt-t. it is complete but i am having trouble fitting it.does any one have a wiring diagram.

·
Banned
9,909 Posts
:yikes:

When you say sat nav do you mean you have all the MGR components (head unit, amplifier/tuner, gps box, aerial, etc. etc.)? And does the hu look like this one?

If so then the missing bit is the correct wiring loom for the car and that could be your biggest challenge.

If your car was built without sat nav then you don't have the wiring fitted in the car needed to hook all the components up and get them working. I did read of someone who put a totally new loom into their 75/ZT to sort this but it was not a quick or easy job.

I'm sure others will be along with more advice but you really have picked a big one there. Good luck :)

Mike

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
2,464 Posts
Agreed with Mike's comments there, a retro sat nav install would be a small mission to complete.

Your money might be better spent on an after-market sat nav unit.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sat nav

hi yes the one i got looks like the one in your pic.i got all the wiring looms and loads of boxes. just dont know were everything goes.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hi mine is the same as the pic.got everything you mentioned and all the wiring looms. just not sure what goes were.

·
Banned
9,909 Posts
Ok. I may be wrong but I expect you have much of the cabling that connects various components but are missing the main car wiring loom that carries the 'core' cabling for the system.

Not sure whether it helkps but the system is a BMW sat nav system and cabling, lifted almost straight from BMW circa 1999. That means you will find a lot about the system on BMW forums.

I don't myself know where you could source the wiring and component diagrams you need-sorry :)

But I do know that even if you had everything (inc main loom) and knew where it all went, you would need to take the car apart to a fair degree to get it all in, set up and working.

Sorry that I can't be more positive but, due to the system being 'built in' to the car at the factory, and the core cabling not being in all 75's built you might find it easier to follow Rich's advice and get a good after market system.

Regards

Mike

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks .the car is already in bits.but i will look into what you said about bmw.i will keep you posted to how i get on thankyou.

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
personally i would flog all your stuff and buy a tom tom go or something. The nav ties in with all the other ecus on the car and is a complete nightmare to try and install and setup as a retrofit. Even if you did get it all fitted adn the wiring complete, it still needs to go onto testbook to be configured/enabled.

Seriously i dont think its worth the hassle as a retrofit.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts