MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
mg_tf
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been going through the process of stripping down ready for routine replacement of cam belt and water pump and on removal of the old water pump, peering through the hole exposed by said pump, I see a complete thermostat in place, not a restrictor ring but a complete unit.
This started the doubts flooding in as the car is a TF160 from mid 2004 and also has a PRT fitted as standard.

I have bills from previous ownership that show the usual headgasket,cylinder height and cambelt work some 6years / 4000 miles ago and the car has run very well in my ownership since last summer. Has someone cocked-up in the past I wonder?

Running temps have been ok, normally in the 95 to 96 degC range but rising to about 100 degC or so when stationary or trickling along in slow moving traffic. All temperatures measured from the ECU through the ODB port.

From everything I have read and heard, two thermostats is wrong, and I am now steeling my self to embark on another two days of pain and bloodletting to get to the offending 'stat and remove it - not easy on a 160 - Unless anyone knows different?

In the back of my mind is the question as to why it has been so 'well behaved' temperature-wise if the set up is so wrong?

Once again, the paranoia is setting in!

B

·
Registered
MG ZT, Rover 25
5,705 Posts
Thermostats usually fail open, so maybe one is not working? Or it could be drilled. If it’s working ok, I‘d probably remove on an opportunity basis when doing something else in the area...

·
In the Garage
MG TF
33,116 Posts
If you are sure that there is a conversational thermostat in place then it needs to go as it will be fighting against the PRT. Are you sure that PRT is fitted?

·
In the Garage
MG TF
33,116 Posts
Thinking about this, I wonder if the PRT has failed open. The car has gone to garage that has not looked at the PRT but taken the thermostat housing apart an removed the restrictor and replaced it with a conventional thermostat.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Your measured temps are spot on with mine. My thermostat was relocated many years ago to the outlet head hose (it is a QED thermostat hosing, not PRT)

·
Registered
mg_tf
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I must say it was something of a surprise when I found it.
There is definitley a working PRT in the expected position because I replaced it myself last year with an 82 deg unit when I replaced a few hoses as a precaution.
I think it could be possible, as Chris T says, that the "old type" stat was fitted when the head work was done 6 years ago and that the guy who did the work was 'on auto-pilot' at the time and forgot about the PRT existing.
Any how, it's got to come out, so I have another delay and much pain before i can hit the road again.
I will be trying to do this without disturbing the lower inlet manifold/head joint, which experience has shown me could present more re-assembly issues. I've done this before on my previous 160 and while difficult, did work.
I shall be employing my Grandson's slim left hand in the operation as we have discovered that he can do things and get into places that I can't being a podgy right-hander!
B.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts