MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The chief executive of SAIC Hu Maoyuen revealed yesterday, SAIC group is already planning local brand with locally built cars, it is predicted that new home-grown brand will surface in Chinese and international market in 2007.

SAIC group is the spear head among Shanghai's international business enterprises, itself has already built four oversea companies, during that time it has purchased 10% shares of GM Daewoo Technology Ltd and 48.92% shares of Korea’s Ssangyong Automotive Company. Last year, the SAIC’s own brands had exported over 2000 cars, an increase of over one time. It is reported that at 2007, SAIC group will have to ability to manufacture over one million vehicles, of which 0.2 million would be commercial vehicles. At the time when the home-grown brand surface, the place of production certainly will not be in Shanghai.
Hu Maoyuen said, the home-grown brand with local-made cars 40 years ago was the “Phoenix” brand, and 20 years ago there was the “Shanghai” brand, but the domestically produced passenger vehicle new home-grown brand cannot simply duplicate the historical old brands. It must be fully investigated and studied, with the careful analysis between cultural difference all over the world to quicken the pace to “step up (to the international level)” of the domestically produced car (companies).

Writer: reporter Yin Chengming
http://202.101.38.42/www_jfdaily_com:80/gb/node2/node142/node148/userobject1ai846003.html.big5

translated by andy

·
Registered
8,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It was a Chinese brand. Lucky coincident, I think.
I never knew there was a brand called Phoenix before.

·
Registered
classic_rover
351 Posts
Any idea what SAIC's brand is likely to be?

It's funny we don't see any Chinese-made cars in Hong Kong. I guess it's because a) they are LHD and b) people here only want Beemers and Benzes.

·
Registered
8,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hongkong said:
Any idea what SAIC's brand is likely to be?

It's funny we don't see any Chinese-made cars in Hong Kong. I guess it's because a) they are LHD and b) people here only want Beemers and Benzes.
How about BMW? They started making BMW in China, you know. I wonder if they make any RHD BMW in China.

·
Registered
classic_rover
351 Posts
I hadn't thought of that, you might be right.

There's certainly no GM or VW (or SAIC, FAW, Chery etc) presence here though.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Knowing the snobbery of my fellow Hongkies and their resentment for the mainlanders, I doubt BMW Concessionaires HK would WANT to import RHD China-built Beemers though however good they are.

Word spread very very quickly indeed that they're from China and nobody in HK wants a Chinese built car for that sort of money.

In fact, when they do launch Chinese built cars in Hongkers, they'd better be set at a lower price point than Korean cars because I doubt many would stoop to Chinese cars unless they're absolutely dirt cheap.

See it's not a matter of how good the quality can be, just the fact that they're made in China is the greatest barrier. The snobbery is strongest at home.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts