MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Details from the BBC:

1. SAIC own rights to produce the 25 and 75 but apparently don't have the presses - unlucky.

2. SAIC own the rights to produce the K-Series MK1 (non EuroIV). I believe a line was packed up and shipped.

3. SAIC do NOT own the MG name - was going for £50million but never happened.

4. It is unclear as to whether any deal was done with the ROVER name but even if it was they can only use it in China.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Good. I hope they have to pay through the nose for everything that gets sold to them, and that something is left for the UK.

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
1,496 Posts
e668ecp said:
Details from the BBC:

1. SAIC own rights to produce the 25 and 75 but apparently don't have the presses - unlucky.

2. SAIC own the rights to produce the K-Series MK1 (non EuroIV). I believe a line was packed up and shipped.

3. SAIC do NOT own the MG name - was going for £50million but never happened.

4. It is unclear as to whether any deal was done with the ROVER name but even if it was they can only use it in China.
There is a chance that MG Rover have given SAIC they're money back when it was clear the deal wouldn't happen, and it is this in part which has brought about the cashflow problems we see today at MGR.

Furthermore, with all the designs and IP still being registered to MG Rover as of today, the Chinese may end up owning nothing, bit like when those sofa suppliers go bust, you've paid for a new sofa, company goes bust prior to delivery and you get neither a sofa or your money back.

·
Registered
881 Posts
e668ecp said:

2. SAIC own the rights to produce the K-Series MK1 (non EuroIV).
Does that actually mean they own all the rights, or just licences? It might not make any difference in the long term, but there is a difference.

·
Registered
30,859 Posts
Nick Birse, the administrators are in so teh company technically hasnt gone bust, yet if at all. dont know if its just me but i still have hope for my little mg(and rover)

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
boy am i confused, if no deal with SAIC was made how come they own the rights to the 25 and 75? Was this an earlier deal. :err:

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Yes. The whole deal was a mass of little deals and big ones. The smaller, simpler ones are concluded.

Now SAIC are free to come back and buy the presses and the world rights to some designs. Unless PWC stipulate they must manufacture at Longbridge...?

·
Registered
other_rover
8,737 Posts
My guess is that MGR may use this period to flog SAIC rights to the K series Euro 4, the 25, 45, and 75 and access to the dealers. This would inject some cash into MG and allow them to concentrate purely on sportscars. It would also rescue the dealer network so that an MG sportscar company had something to sell into. As they have already invested in aluminium sportscars (according to some on here) then this would seem very logical.

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
1,496 Posts
Can anyone explain two other MG Rover companies.

Recently regsitered with Companies House, "MG Rover Cars Limited" and a curio "MG Rover Powertrain Limited" which clearly isn't "Powertrain Limited" as this is a seperate company.

·
Premium Member
4,430 Posts
my guess is that the latest developments were discussed between MGR and SAIC and in fact these moves may be an effort to make the JV a possibility, this could remove the liability SAIC were concerned at, and what will be left are all the same IPR and model designs that would have been part of the JV.

I strongly suspect we havent heard the last of the SAIC deal. SAIC may make a move to buy MG Rover from the administrators and continue with the original plan.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Nick Birse said:
Can anyone explain two other MG Rover companies.

Recently regsitered with Companies House, "MG Rover Cars Limited" and a curio "MG Rover Powertrain Limited" which clearly isn't "Powertrain Limited" as this is a seperate company.
MG Rover Cars UK Ltd is interesting as it was only registered 2 weeks ago, and it's at the address of Eversheds, who acted for the P4 when negotiating with BMW back in 2000.

On one of the other threads, someone (EssexMGR I think) suggests it might be linked to PVH retaining the TF if the JV had gone ahead - but yeah, it would be nice to think that this company was set up to hold all the IP for the new models, etc, just in case MG Rover Group Ltd failed.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I don't feel SAIC played fair, and I'd like to think that somehow their manevolent scheme could be undone if they ended up with nothing.

This is just like 2000 - Rover had a car then it was never allowed to launch. :eyes:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts