MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
'10 TF135
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All. I have a SAIC TF135 and using PScan I can obtain the correct EKA code - but there's no way I can make it work.

There isn't any reference to EKA code in the Owners Manual - and I've heard shared suspicion that it doesn't work on SAIC TFs - so why would the scu/ecu log it in PScan?

Has anyone on this forum actually got EKA to work on their Chinese variant? (Or tried in vain and failed, as I have?)

·
Rover Lifestyle
Rover 200 Rover 600
12,906 Posts
Hi, as far I know SCU used is same Pektron one and because of that you can read EKA code from ot, but SAIC MG TF has removed option to use EKA as possibility to start the car, and because of that you do not have anything mention witihin Owners Manual.
So from my understanding SAIC MG TFs are sold without earlier know EKA code as oprion to overcome problem when you loose fob. So in this case no fob, no ride.
I can only imagine it is for strengthening security to higher and not providing options to override it.

·
Registered
'10 TF135
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Roverlike, I didn't see it as a security 'enhancement'. You'd have thought the manufacturer would have celebrated or promoted that? Yes, mine's the same Pektron unit as MGR (a 1541...) so how have they stopped it working, I wonder?

It doesn't seem to be an ecu function; my current ecu is an MGR NNN100743 'stock' unit, but EKA doesn't work with the SAIC NNN000830 either.

Recently I suffered a seized driver key lock (I suppose because of lack-of-use). EKA would've been the only alternative non-destructive way into the car if the scu relay(s) or remote failed - and that fact didn't enthuse me at all :confused:

·
Rover Lifestyle
Rover 200 Rover 600
12,906 Posts
EKA code is not an engine ECU function. EKA is Pektron function. They obviously stopped possibility for EKA to be entered. EKA is a way to bypass fob function, and they simp,y removed it.

·
Registered
'10 TF135
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Yes, agree that it's not an ecu function. But WHY and HOW is what I'd like to find out...perhaps someone, somewhere, knows for sure?
Meanwhile, Pscan helpfully suggests using the unit to check 'live data' for the lock switch status.
I wonder, then, if it's switched off by factory default and can be d-i-y re-activated? That'd give me some relief...:)

·
Registered
12 Posts
You have an Owners Manual for an SAIC TF? There are posts on various sites from people (including me) who have a 2007 onwards TF but an earlier manual. If you scan yours there will be a market for it.

·
Registered
'10 TF135
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Hi Quesa. I seem to have a vague idea that the very earliest SAICS were built up from excess MGR parts after they stopped production and that later SAIC parts were shipped in as they were used up, for LE500 production I suppose.

It may be just a rumour - but it might explain your earlier TF owner manual?

Regarding the original post; I wonder if it means that you have EKA info in your booklet and that the EKA works on your TF. I wonder if it would it be possible for you to confirm these thoughts please?

Btw attached is the pic on the front of my owner manual. Is yours a different pic entirely or have they just swapped models?

SAIC TF135.jpeg

ps 120-odd pages, so a scan would be a bit of a 'faff'. I know these models get 'broken' - surely their handbooks could be recycled? Why don't you call one of our MG breakers to see if they can help?

·
Registered
MG TF 135
20 Posts
Hi,

I have NAC MG UK MG TF Service Procedure Manual Part Number ZUA00L0280EN, 1st Edition 09/2008. This is the only post MGRover service manual I have seen, and its NAC not SAIC published.

Have done a search for EKA and it does not show up in any of the 487 pages, also "Code" when searched does not tie in with anything like an EKA override. So no help from the service manual.

Cheers, Mark

·
Registered
'10 TF135
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi again markvrs.

That's a separate publication to the owner's manual isn't it?

So...still no 'EKA positive' response from any forum members...not even those with Pscan...:(

ps (Chinese) NAC originally bought MG/Rover and now it's become (Chinese SAIC) and X-Part is Chinese but parts are for MG/Rover as well as NAC/SAIC?

·
Rover Lifestyle
Rover 200 Rover 600
12,906 Posts
... and X-Part is Chinese but parts are for MG/Rover as well as NAC/SAIC?
From where you took information that XPart is Chinese? As far as I know XPart is part of Caterpillar Logistics.

·
Registered
'10 TF135
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Roverlike. The fact that I don't know is the reason for the question mark and 'as far as I know' imo serves a similar purpose...
I just hope our combined questioning can encourage the people that DO know to share more freely.

·
Registered
'06 MG ZR +120 (HQM) '04 MG ZR 105 (IAB)
9,434 Posts
Caterpillar sold off their logistics operation in 2012 and it became Neovia Logistics (and XPart subsequently relocated from Desford to Hinckley). At the start of November 2017, Xpart was sold by Neovia and is now part of Leacy Classics and XPart (along with the rest of Leacy Classics parts operation) was moved to new premises on Erdington Industrial Park, Birmingham last year (2020).

XPart isn't Chinese, and the only Chinese/SAIC model that they handle parts for is the NAC/SAIC MG TF. For the rest of the SAIC era MG range, SAIC/MG Motor factor the parts themselves.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts