MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
rover_75
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondered if the Rover 75 could be a target of the above? it's becoming increasingly common nowadays and whilst it may be certain cars like some Hondas and Toyotas that are mainly being targeted, a family member had his stolen from a Golf estate. Unbelievable.!

·
Registered
rover_600
118 Posts
Sadly this sort of thing is becoming more common. Every internal combustion engine powered vehicle sold after 1992 is likely to have one ore more.
The incredibly sad bit about them is according to our always truthful Government 75% of car journeys are less than ten miles.
A Catalytic converter will not start to carry out its magic until it has reached a temperature hot enough to activate the catalyst which in a modern car takes more than ten miles of driving. Up until the magic metals are hot enough to perform their magic, they do the opposite and increase the bad gasses coming out the tail pipe.
This raises the question of whither or not they are providing the world a service or disservice, if for 75% of all journeys they are actually doing the opposite of what they do on long journeys.
Depending on how the statistics are drawn up it could mean that overall they are doing the world a disservice.
Then we have the problem of cleaning up the used converters so that they can be disposed of in a safe manor and not just sent to landfill still contaminated.
Then there is the ever increasing problem of bad people stealing these steel cans for the small amounts of valuable metal they have inside them.
I am sure if the very clever people who stumbled upon the effects the rare metals have when they are very hot and exhaust gasses are passed over them, magical things happen. I hope the problem is resolved soon as when the saints that rule our country’s, have their way and we go all electric, someone will discover that our National grid is a quarter the size it will need to be to carry the load our electric life will need. Further to this our maximum power generation capability in 2035 will fall short of consumption requirements.
The investment in our ageing transmission lines and our power stations or lack of power stations, would have to have started fifteen years ago, to enable us to achieve the Governments aspirations.
All this suggests that the change over to all electric vehicles and the phasing out of the internal combustion engine to be a pipe dream. That will make the thief’s very happy as there will be catalytic converters for many years to come.
I was also trying to work out where all the raw materials for the batteries for our wonderful new cars. Then the whole new industry recycling the old batteries in a safe way that will not kill of our planet.
Having lived for too many years, and witnessed mankind’s mistakes in my lifetime, gives me great concern for the continued prosperity of my fellow man. Governments stumble from one planet endangering policy to the next, with no regard for the damage they are inflicting on the planet.
We only have one Earth and when it is used up that is it, I fail to understand the Trump mind set, of ignoring what is happening in our world. Does he really think by calling the facts fake news, that this will stop the world from running out and the eco system

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,435 Posts
Just wondered if the Rover 75 could be a target of the above? it's becoming increasingly common nowadays and whilst it may be certain cars like some Hondas and Toyotas that are mainly being targeted, a family member had his stolen from a Golf estate. Unbelievable.!
Yes, our cars could be targeted. :(

·
Registered
654 Posts
The first thing you could do is to check how easy it is to access the CAT(s) on your car, if it's easier from one particular side and you're going to leave it in a public / hospital / work car park for the day then try to park it so it is harder to access the CAT. Also park it in site of cameras to put potential thieves off or somewhere out of site so it's not spotted easily from a distance, if they are on the look out for your particular car when driving round.

If it does happen to you and you own an older car then take it to a recommended local garage and you may find your car is quieter and performs better after it's been replaced. I have read that CATs do fail / cave-in over time getting blocked up.

·
Registered
rover_75
2 Posts
I actually had mine stolen early hours of Saturday morning, it is a real problem and yes we are at danger of this.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Sorry to hear that.

If you haven't already make sure you report by phoning 101 from your landline so it goes through to the local police force, it is important for them to know and be aware as it may be happening to other people in your area.

·
Registered
rover_75
2 Posts
Sorry to hear that.

If you haven't already make sure you report by phoning 101 from your landline so it goes through to the local police force, it is important for them to know and be aware as it may be happening to other people in your area.
Hi Jaycee yes I did that first thing, within minutes it was registered, crime number allocated and case closed as there were no witnesses or video

·
Registered
rover_75
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The first thing you could do is to check how easy it is to access the CAT(s) on your car, if it's easier from one particular side and you're going to leave it in a public / hospital / work car park for the day then try to park it so it is harder to access the CAT. Also park it in site of cameras to put potential thieves off or somewhere out of site so it's not spotted easily from a distance, if they are on the look out for your particular car when driving round.

If it does happen to you and you own an older car then take it to a recommended local garage and you may find your car is quieter and performs better after it's been replaced. I have read that CATs do fail / cave-in over time getting blocked up.
I've read that you can buy a "cat. converter lock? locking system?"; not cheap I guess. Maybe I'm not explaining it well enough.
I wonder if anyone has had this done, if their 75 has been targeted?
I will go to a garage and check how easy it is to be accessed and position the car to make it harder to be targeted.
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
I've read that you can buy a "cat. converter lock? locking system?"; not cheap I guess. Maybe I'm not explaining it well enough.
I wonder if anyone has had this done, if their 75 has been targeted?
I will go to a garage and check how easy it is to be accessed and position the car to make it harder to be targeted.
Thanks.
Sorry but a cat lock is pointless, if anything will make it worse, they will come back for the car & then destroy it rather than just taking the cat

1 - 11 of 11 Posts