MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Haven't been on the forum for a little while. Came back today and read the sad news. After 81 years it looks as if it is over for MG. Scanned the web under "MG Rover demise"....every British front page is plastered with the news. What a week, the Pope's funeral - very sad watched by millions and millions, the marriage of what's his name and her - who cares and the fall of MG Rover - also sad for the owners of the cars, Longbridge workers, suppliers. Haven't been following the news with the SAIC negotiations, but clearly they came to nought. My only consolation is that I had traded in my ZT back in January for the Benz CLK. Still a sad say. The papers are full of plans for Blair and his government to do things, SAIC to come in and buy the bits it wants - cheap. Who knows? Every morning I pass a brand new super MG Rover show room that is being built in the north shore of Sydney. What will become of that? It is is situated next to a Jaguar showroom that is undergoing refurbishment. With sales way down for Jaguar, it seems to be quite a sad reflection of British automotive prowess in this part of Australia.

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
5,867 Posts
sad indeed. McCarroll's are also a Citroen dealer so they will have cars in their new showroom come what may. I wouldn't write MG Rover off just yet though.

·
Registered
685 Posts
parts

mgr oz says as caterpillar has the parts distribuition rights, nothing to do with MGR , parts should not be a problem

Can't see dealers lasting or warranties honoured though

·
Premium Member
79,177 Posts
miketata said:
mgr oz says as caterpillar has the parts distribuition rights, nothing to do with MGR , parts should not be a problem

Can't see dealers lasting or warranties honoured though
But parts supply could well be a problem if the smaller suppliers to MGR go bust, as is predicted.

·
Registered
685 Posts
parts

could happen but I doubt it. Parts are very profitable more so than retailing cars , specially in this part of the world. It depends on parts stocks and whether the distributors can re-engage manufacturers to supply them , or seek alternatives. Diahatsu has just closed in Australia and smart cars are tipped not to last globally. It's interesting, Lada stopped importing into Oz a decade ago and parts are plentiful. Then of course you always have internet suppliers. By the way Major, are Kia Sedona parts (same Rover 2.5 engine) interchangeable for filters cambelts etc etc ?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Trivett Classic in Sydney have advertised in the week end press that they are liquidating all MG Rover stock. They are quote "resigning" there sales arm for MG Rover product, but will continue to sell spares and service the vehicles

·
Registered
rover_75
134 Posts
I guess we will need to sit tight and see what transpires.

As much as it breaks my heart to see what has happened in Britain, I can't help but think something postive will eventually occur in time :idea:

Driving to work this morning I followed one blue MG ZT and another silver Rover 75. Our cars look so good and distinctive on the road, just can't let these great cars fad away. The world needs cars like MG and Rover....

Anyway enough of my passionate ranting !!!

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
5,867 Posts
With luck someone will be able to get a new company up and running again with just the 75/ZT and the TF and find someone to partner them in making Nexus and their new platform range. I fear the 25/45 and ZR/ZS will be going nowehere.

It's a tragic day for two proud marques and one of the world's oldest car factories.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Been off the air for a while (been in Germany & Austria). Didnt I read that the rights & tooling for the Rover 75/45/25 had already been sold to the Chinese for a pittance?

Would that not make it impossible to revive the 75/ZT even if a white knight saviour came on the scene?

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
5,867 Posts
they have, but the deal has a no questions aksed buy back clause. So MG Rover can buy them back for the same price they sold them for at any time - trouble is the contract probably requires MG Rover to buy them and not someone else and that means anyone wanting to make them has to inject the necessary 67 million pounds into MG Rover before it's liquidated.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I can only reiterate - what a bizarre deal these P4 guys struck and with the Chinese of all people. You feel like tapping John Towers on the head and asking "anyone home?".

1 - 11 of 11 Posts