MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just had a new timing belt and tensioner fitted to my car at 48000 miles by my local independant which I normally use. Price inc VAT was belt £19.90, tensioner £ 32.14, labour £84.60, which I thought was a bit steep.

Anyway, since I've got the car back, when its ticking over when warm, the engine seems a lot noisier than before in the timing belt area. I took the car back to the garage for their opinion today & the manager had a look ( listen) & said that the auxiliary belt had been put back on 'dirty' which was causing the noise, & it should wear off in a week or so......

Any ideas ?

Cheers

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
True, the garage (a fast fit outfit) quoted 2 hours on the bill, but it still seems steep. I would have had a go at the job myself if I wasn't such a coward. The consequences of getting it wrong frightened me off.................

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've never tried doing a timing belt before, but maybe next time. Do you think the noise will go away or could it be more sinister ?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's a difficult one. Doesn't sound as though its fouling the cover though, not a scraping noise, more a slight rumbling, if you see what i mean ?

·
Never forgotten
16,723 Posts
I've never heard of a dirty belt making a noise (unless it slips when it makes a screaming noise). If he says that it is the auxillary belt, try taking it off and see if the noise goes away. Also check that it is positioned correctly on all the pulleys and is not one groove out.

Problems with the cam belt could be -
Too tight - whining noise.
Too loose - no odd noises or perhaps hitting the covers if realy bad.

·
Registered
208 Posts
could be the bearing in the belt tensioner is rumbling or hte belt tension is set to tight.
to rule out hte aux drive belt start the engine and spray some wd40 on to it- if it disappears in a prob with it- if not its the timing belt

1 - 10 of 10 Posts