MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi again, i was gonna today install my system etc all ready so when i get my head unit i can just plug it all in and away i go, however im baffelled to how i can do it lol, first off how has everyone else run their big thick wires from the head unit to the boot for their amps and subs...... i was gonna run them all down the side of the door like i did with my last car and under the carpet, BUT in the rover, it seems there is not alot of space etc, any tips on how i can do this the easiest way would be much appreciated thanks, even toyed with the idea of taking the passenger seat out :-s

·
Registered
4,994 Posts
There is loads of space under the carpet by the sills.

If you take the sill finishers off (the silver kick plates) and then lift the carpet back towards the seats, you will see that there is lots of space.

To run the cables, I would get them to the side of the car by your own choice( run it under the carpet or clip it to the wiring running past the fuse box), then go down under the carpet, along the door sills.

Then, I would remove the rear trim, this just pulls out, although its a bit easier to do if the rear seat is removed.

Tuck the cables in behind the trim and then replace, and then its just straight into the boot.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i was gonna take the back seat out where our arses go but didnt know whether it would come out or not but obvisouly does seen u said so :p the only thing which makes the room limited is the bloody black plastic strip thing which runs down the inside between both doors, near back of seat, if it was a 3 door it would prob be easier.

·
Registered
4,994 Posts
yeah, that is tight, but again, that all just pulls off.

If you wait for a warm day and have a go then, you souldnt break any clips.

The seats are easy to take out. Open the boot, look at the bottom of the rear seat and you'll see some bolts. Just take the ones relevant to the correct seat out and then the seat will just come out.

You need a socket set for this really.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ill try not be heavy handed lol, usually am and end up breaking things, was a nice day today but wont bother now, leave it till 2moro if its nice, i got sockets and all that just didnt have the required tool to take the seat belt bolt off, like a star shaped thing but its quite big

·
Registered
4,994 Posts
Yeah, thats a torx fixing. And a big one to.

Think you can get Torx bits in Halfords, or any decent tool shop.

Dont know what size it is though. They are sized like this: T1 T2 T3 etc... This the larger the bit, the smaller the number.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well im done :D just spent the past 2 hours running all the wiring from the front to the back and i must say it was alot easier then i thought it would be, only annoying / hard part was getting those bloody back seats out, talk about having the bolts in difficult places..... other then that it was all easy, just need to wait for my head unit now that i can connect it all up :D

·
Registered
4,994 Posts
Well done.

See, I said it weren't too bad.

Hope it sounds good when its all finished.

What are you installing???

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I hope it does too, ive currently got a 12" JBL 1000W Sub and JBL 4 Channel Amp which i had from previous car but in time i can change this or add to it, everything else is being replaced, sayin replaced is maybe a no no as in previous car i only had 6x9s running with the, standard fronts etc.....

i quite fancy this HU but not sure

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=9720231217

its £200 in halfords and they say was £399 lol so bargain i guess or should i be looking for better ?

also im going to be putting some front components in along with tweeters which ill be running off a seperate amp, not sure which ones i am going to go for yet though !! Any recommendations / advice would be helpful

i also want to put some in the rear, not 6x9s though as ive been told there is not much point, so what should i be lookin to put in the rear ? ive been told some 3 ways, but in halfords today i was looking and didnt see any 3 ways, well i did but they were 6x9's !! again any recommendations will be helpful

·
Registered
4,994 Posts
Well, the problem is postioning them in the back.

If you speak to an audiophile, they will tell you not to put any in the back, as it creates an un-natural sound stage.

I personally like to have something in the back, just for some rear fill.

Also, actually putting them somewhere is a problem. There are standard spaces for 13cm speakers under the side of the parcel shelf, but you wont really hear them that well.

A parcel shelf is weak, and wont take anything too heavy, so unless you get a acoustic shelf, this isnt really worth thinking about.

Im not an expert on these things.

What you wanna do is drop mulletboy2 a PM and ask him, or do some searches on this forum.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts