MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased an MGF. It's a small car and I wanted to increase it's frontal visabilty to pedestrians and other motorists. When it;'s overcast or darkening skies modern cars and vans are easy to spot because they have running lights.

So I decided to fit some bright white LED strips around the top arch of the glass headlights on my car. Wired up these to the cigar lighter.

Ignition on and LEDs come on. Well hey have been there for 6 months and still work. I think a couple of times they may have saved me from a potential knock from drivers who could have pulled out in front of me, instead were greatful to see me coming.

The light sort of shines into the glass headlight with a clear white light. At night with just the side lights on there is a nice effect of the white light and yellow side bulb light mixing in the headlight. They slightly light up the road at night. They come in a rubber seal that also fills the headlight to bonnet gap nicely for a more streamlined frontend.

Overall I'm happy with this cheap modification. Does anyone want to see 'em?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi here is a search term for ebay to the same things I have.

2X-Sequential-LED-Strip-Turn-Signal-Indicator-DRL-Daytime-Running-Light-for-Car

I went with the white/yellow but don't connect the indicators. 30cm right length no need to shorten.

Re-charging my camera battery, can't find good settings for a good nightime picture.

·
Registered
mg_tf
397 Posts
This is my solution to solution to the visibility problem, a bit involved but they do look good.

·
Registered
mg_tf
397 Posts
The LED rings weren’t that expensive, from memory they were about £7 or £8 a pair, I think they’re a bit more now. The difficult bit is opening up the headlight to fit them, you have to put them in the oven and heat them to 130C, the guide says 7 minutes, but I found I needed nearer 10.

This is the guide I used How to fit LED Halo DRLs to my TF - The MGF Register Forums it’s very useful

To control the lights I made my own Arduino nano based controller that fits inside the headlight, this has a connection to the headlights, sidelights and indicator. Doing it this way I can set the brightness for each lighting situation, I dim them when the sidelights are on and turn them off while the indicators are flashing. The controller sits just under the cover used to change the sidelight bulbs, this way I can connect my laptop via a USB connection and set all the different brightness’s from 0 to 100%.

Because the controller is built into the headlight, the only external connection is a 12V supply. This makes it easy to swap from one car to another.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts