MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Back from my week away now :)

While away i ended up stuck in traffic for about an hours or so, the stop start but barley moving kind. The oil temp was 120 as is normal after a motorway stint and the water temp was just below halfway again as normal. However after about 45 mins the oil temp stayed the same but water temp went up to 3/4. Got a bit paniced as it was creaping up but then traffic moved a bit and it went down again. Then when we stopped it went up to just over 3/4 again so i decided enough was enough and pulled over for a while to allow it to cool.

I checked the coolant and it was 1/2 way up the tank, again this seems normal as when cold it is just below 1/2 way always has been.
When i stopped i could hear the engine fan going so i assume this is ok.

Basically can anyone shed any light on this as my cars in the past would be fine in traffic and the fans kept everything well below the top half of the gauge for temp.

Any help would be super thanks

P.S. Deano i still dont have the PDF as he never sent it but will get it after the easter weekend for you m8

Thanks

Rick

·
Registered
42,093 Posts
cheers mate, just let me know when u get it then i will send u a PM with my email address.

RE: your hot spot...sounds like u have just been sucking in hot exhaust fumes. stagnant hot air is probably the worst thing u can give n engine. traffic jams see so many ppl having to pull over after overheating. its happened to me before. albeit in a fiesta wiht a malfunctioning radiator fan.
as long as the fan is kicking in, u have sufficient radiator fluid, 50% water 50% coolant...i honestly am not sure of what else u can do to stop it happening.
what i tend to do is not constanly move forward at every opportunity. if its very slow moving then i sit back and leave a bit of a gap between me and the car in front.

and theres two things u cna do to get the engine back again... pull over as u rightly did and let the engine cool, or if u can get some clear road again, get some nice cold air into the engine bay.

one thing an AA man told me to do when mine overheated was to turn on the interior fans full whack and turned to cold. i dont know the technicals behind that but he told me it would help cool the engine bay a bit.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

1 - 2 of 2 Posts