MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hi i am soooo tempted to buy a rover 75 i love them n got a few plans (lower 35mm and put 17s on) my plan

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h250/russdx/Untitled-1copy.jpg

but im 21 n a student lol so dont have loads n loads of cash (insurance is £1500 on it OUCH)

how much r they to like run tax mot service n just to keep on the road basically im after a 1999 2.5v6 Connoisseur
if they not to bad ill go for one but cnt really have it breakin down or having to replace stuff all the time as wont be able to afford it

honest answers plz thank you :)

·
Registered
113 Posts
sounds to me you still have the boy racer tag ,2,5s dont usually breakdown they are a very reliable car ,your problem will come when you put your foot down the like a good drink ,my ztt will only do 15 to gallon when i go for it and i crindge when i fill it up .good look hope you buy it ,dont drive it like a loon and you will love it

·
Premium Member
31,560 Posts
Yeah, I'd be a little warey of the fuel bill, especially as you're a student. A KV6 isn't exactly the most economical car when thrashed around the place!

i.e. The Supercharged ZS180 I had recently managed around 14MPG around Silverstone - ok, this is a bit extreme, but if you are very heavy with your right foot, you'll probably only see high teens, low 20s MPG....

·
Banned
9,909 Posts
SteveChilds said:
Yeah, I'd be a little warey of the fuel bill, especially as you're a student. A KV6 isn't exactly the most economical car when thrashed around the place!
dunno what you mean Steve :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so just the fuel bill if i drive it good thats all i need to worrie about

im not lookin at £200 here and there all the time to mend it and £500 services and stuff

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Mondyx said:
so just the fuel bill if i drive it good thats all i need to worrie about

im not lookin at £200 here and there all the time to mend it and £500 services and stuff
If you are prepared to do minor servicing yourself then your costs will be no more than any other car. Brakes etc. are relatively easy and cheap jobs as well.
When it come to major service you are looking at around £ 360.00 from a dealer. Less from a good and reliable backstreet garage.
Coolant replacement requires vacuum facilities to do the job.
In general these are very reliable cars especially in V6 and Diesel format but bear in mind that they were an expensive and sophisticated piece of kit, consequently major repair items will be expensive.
V6 requires cam belt change at around 60-90K miles V expensive as there are three belts and is a major job, check to see if this has been done on a high miler, fsh is recommended, poorly serviced, these vehicles will cause you pain in the wallet.
Otherwise as others have said be gentle with the right foot or you will be filling up far more regularly than you would like.

MM

·
Banned
9,909 Posts
Parts for the 75 cannot be described as cheap because it s a fairly complex piece of kit. The KV6 is a big engine so I wouldn't go into this thinking maitenance is affordable as a student.

But on the other hand great car and if you are prepared to sacrifice partying and drinks etc then it would be worth it :)

Good luck

Mike

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
one im after is on 93k had the 3 belts done n 2k spent on last service done at 85k i was show full service history from 0k (they bought it new) and been serviced every year n stuff looks mint

would this be a good car to get i dont mind spendin a bit more on fuel but i wont be able to afford £200 here and £200 there every 4 months if parts start to go

·
Registered
rover_75
462 Posts
I know your young and want the poke of the KV6 2.5 but I would recommend the CDT for running costs. No timing belt to change either.

I am now 4 years out of uni and an IT professional - I earn a decent living up here in the north and it is still not a particularly cheap car to own.

I think you would be really stretched financially if you buy a 2.5

However, they are beautiful cars..........

Pete

1 - 11 of 11 Posts