MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I own a '98 VVC Coupe and have a problem with a rumbling noise when I brake heavily in a straight line. It doesn't happen all the time and tends to go away if a brake heavily a second time in quick succession.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Neil

·
Registered
5,888 Posts
I now own this car, have done for 7 months.

Neil told me about this problem, in fact showed me, when he sold it, he also said Rover dealers have looked and scratched their heads at it.

When I first got it, the noise was "small" and "infrequent", but over the last few months it's been getting much worse, and also started to happen when pulling away quickly, particularly with a bit of steering lock on.

The noise is also accompanied by a knocking sensation, which seems to be transferred through the bulkhead to the pedals, as I can sense it in my right foot under both acceleration and braking.

My local garage put it on the brake rollers, withthe bonnet up, and suggested it might be excessive movement in the upper engine mount brace bar, so this afternoon I changed it.

It seems to have improved things consideraby, but the noise is still there, although now more noticeably under hard acceleration at low speeds. Also when testing the difference under heavy braking, I managed to lock the right front wheel momentarily. The car is supposed to have ABS.

Any suggestions as to cause, or fix welcomed as this is starting to get on my nerves now.

Ta,
Jim.

·
Registered
5,888 Posts
DEViANCE said:
stop braking hard? :p

have you had the disks changed? sounds like they could be damaged.
I was only braking particularly hard, because I was testing the "fix".

Discs are good, they were checked out at MOT time last month , and if it was them, why does it happen under acceleration?

My instinct was initially drive shafts, I guess it's possible that the dodgy mount, (the old one definitely had excessive 'give' over the new one) has led to excessive wear on a cv joint through the movement of the engine.

Like I said, it has had rover mechanics puzzled, and there is no apparent problem on inspection, I'm puzzled as well and can't afford to change eveything on the off chance it'll fix it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.