MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
3,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been tinkering around acquainting myself with the layout of the engine bay on my 04 TF and have unfortunately caused a little (I hope!) problem.

Immediately above and below the dipstick, to the right of the filler cap are what seems like two buttons? Which are covered by two square rubber "boots", I have unfortunately lost one of the boots. Any idea what they are? Can I buy the rubber boots separately?

That'll teach me for going in with my cleaning rag!

·
Registered
17,075 Posts
It's a dipstick wiper. the plan is that you squeeze the "buttons" while removing the dipstick and the pressure holds a wiper against the stick. Let go before putting stick back in.

The rubber covers are comfort.

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
3,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's brilliant!

I have seriously impressed my neighbour to whom Mercedes are the only car worth considering with this gadget :)

Any idea if the rubbers are available separately or is it a complete assembly job :eek:

·
Registered
17,075 Posts
I would be seriously impressed if the rubbers were available. Mine are 3 years old and still virginal - I use kitchen towel instead.

·
Registered
47,841 Posts
It's a dipstick wiper. the plan is that you squeeze the "buttons" while removing the dipstick and the pressure holds a wiper against the stick. Let go before putting stick back in.

The rubber covers are comfort.
is this for real JP, because I really don't want to go out in the rain to make sure your not telling porkies ??

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
3,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No this isn't a JP joke (not that he ever jokes) but I wonder how many people uses them?
I wonder how many people honestly knew what they were for!##

Anyone got a spare they wish to sell? My hands are a little large for routing around in this compact engine bay to find the missing piece.

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
3,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
oh my god, its all true :lol:, it really is a learning experience here :lol:, I will have to use it now :broon:
Ha ha, every day we learn something new.

BTW be careful not to knock one of the covers off, they seem to disappear into the bowels of the earth....

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
To be honest, the cleaner isn't actually all that good. :shake:

I still use some rag or kitchen towel to clean the dipstick.

·
Registered
mg_tf
1,346 Posts
Feeling very smug now :)

I've always used mine, I usually run the bottom of the dipstick through them a couple of time before removing it. Admittedly it doesn't clear every drop of oil the way a rag does, but it's certainly good enough for the weekly check.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts