MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,new to the forum,hope someone can help!

I have a 2002 v6 2.0 tourer and the message centre is broken.A while ago the gap in the bulkhead where the wiper motor is located (plenum?) was full of water and I cleared the drain holes underneath to drain it.Is the gadgetry to control the message centre located in here?I need to know what and where it is as there is a local rover breakers in Hull where I may be able to get the bit.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
message centre kaput

so the message centre is controled by the ecu then? and is this easy to get at? can any ecu be fitted or does it specifically have to be from a 2.0 v6?theres one on ebay from a 1.8 for £65 would that do?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
its the digital display in the dash with the "information concerning various aspects of the cars status"(quote from owners manual!)....doors open,lights failure,trip distance(2),ave.fuel consumption,speed limiter etc etc....

·
Registered
9,970 Posts
2004sammysammy said:
its the digital display in the dash with the "information concerning various aspects of the cars status"(quote from owners manual!)....doors open,lights failure,trip distance(2),ave.fuel consumption,speed limiter etc etc....
Oh rite yeah I know.

·
Registered
rover_75
3,524 Posts
When you say it not working how do you mean?
Is it just some pixels that are not working?

Changing the clocks on the 75 is not as cheap and easy as you may think. You need to take it to the dealers to get programmed in etc

Does the Speedo etc all work?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi,none of the message centre lights up....its 'dead'. Also the mileage display is lit up all the time,even when car locked up and alarm on.No other problems.The speed limiter has an audible bleep....this does work but the display does not light up......its set at 105mph and I set it off once.....I don't know how it happened tho' officer!!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Had a similar problem on my ZT last year, no message centre and mileometer constantly on. Dealers remedy was to disconnect the battery for, as they put it, "five minutes", then reconnect & Hey Presto, everything back to normal.

Somebody else I know had the same problem so I told them about the battery disconnect cure and it worked for them too. Give it a try.

·
Registered
5,472 Posts
Once you have rebooted the car by disconecting the battery hold down the trip rest button whilst turning on the ignition and wait after a few seconds you will be in the self test menu and you can cycle through various options one lights everything up like a xmas tree and activates all the instruments throughout the range

Don't even think about buying a ECU untill you know exactly what is wrong they are not something you can just swap over.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Cured!!

thanks guys....BRILLIANT!!!!!! The'battery cure' saved me a fortune!!Worked a treat.Then tested the dash lights by using the self test menus....impressive isn't the word!!Can't wait to show my mates! Thanks again guys....I'll be posting again soon after I've looked at the vis valves.....think a 2.0 v6 should be quicker off the mark!

·
Registered
rover_75
3,524 Posts
2004sammysammy said:
thanks guys....BRILLIANT!!!!!! The'battery cure' saved me a fortune!!Worked a treat.Then tested the dash lights by using the self test menus....impressive isn't the word!!Can't wait to show my mates! Thanks again guys....I'll be posting again soon after I've looked at the vis valves.....think a 2.0 v6 should be quicker off the mark!

Well pleased for you that it worked!

Good Good!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts