MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

Here are a couple of posts taken out of the middle of other threads on the subject of Rover Ron's intake modification on the CDT 75......it is an amazing modification (and I do not use the word lightly!), is ofcourse FREE! and I didn't want other members to miss out on the experience as much of the disucssion on this is buried deep in threads with other titles (Mainly Ron's tuning boxes) :)

It would be great to get feedback from those members who go on to try the mod to see if you are as shocked by the total change in performance as I was......(PS...have made the odd addition to the text as these 2 posts are not now supported by all the posts that were around them...hope this helps)

Just joined the forum today though have exchanged a few emails with Ron prior to joining (found the forum via Ron) and have just ordered my TU4 Synergy and Dash Switch for my 116 Rover 75

Anyways....Ron's suggested inlet modification.....DO IT NOW!!!! is all I can say It's briliant and FREE!

I had an hour to myself today so I thought while i'm awaiting the TU4 I'll have a crack at letting my little monster breath better....

Chopped carefully away and opened the oriffice right up to the full size that will fit in the gap (40mm by however wide it is) and have ensured this stays open by nicking one of the wifes thin metal kebab skewers and bending this into a rectangle that then fits inside the air inlet secured by very small tie wraps that go through the inlet walls......

Result??...........Bl**dy H*ll (as Harry Potter's mate Ron Weasly would say!)......what a phenominal difference this modification makes.....

It is very clear the initial very slow spooling up of turbo can be considerably aided by allowing the turbo to now suck in enough air without struggling (inlet surface area is now at least doubled, maybe more)......

Previously my car picked up well enough and then ran out of steam at 3,300 rpm (the norm I gather)......Now it 'chirps' the tyres pulling out of junctions (I kid you not) and pulls in 2nd and 3rd fairly hard right through to 4,600rpm........it is a total transformation and cost me nothing more than a bo**ocking for permanently borrowing the skewer LOL...

Can't wait to get the TU4 now cos this baby is going to absolutely fly!!!!!!!

Ron, if your 75 doesn't do 150+BHP on it's next set of dyno runs I will be amazed with the slight boost raise and the clean EGR (just done mine also).......I think you may also be verging into 160BHP territory once you have fitted the performance air filter, fitted a gutted EGR for air flow and 'free flowed' the exhaust system???!! this is an unbelievable result from a car that started it's life at 115BHP+/- as it would equate to a 50% increase in performance and the best bit is the engine was designed for this sort of output anyway so there should be few reliability worries :)

Best regards and wishes all........nice to be a part of this excellent forum....

Jason

PS...if you fancy a laugh at someone elses expense please feel free to have a read of my first posting "Rover 75 CDT Buying Guide" as it details just how much was wrong with my 75 when I bought it and how much it cost to fix!

------------------------

Hi Ron

Yes, I can definately confirm on my 'as yet' totally un-modded 75 the intake mod described on your website has made massive difference......though not in mid range power as such (that's what I gather the TU4 will do!)

Yet it has made the engine pick up far earlier and harder in the sub-2000rpm range and then go on to willingly rev right out in the 3,400rpm to 4,600 rpm range....it does totally transform the driving experience though at the same time does nothing for my major gripe which is 5th gear mid-range torque which in reality is unchaged by the modification (makes little or no difference to the performance in the 2,000rpm to 3,400rpm rev range) as this fits inbetween the lower and upper rev range improvements.....so I guess it is one of those mods that happily compliments a tuning box, though does not replace the need for it....

Keep up the pioneering work Ron, it is really useful!

With regard to the exhaust, are you going to try the de-cat route or just go for the free'er flowing back box? And with regard to the twin (one either side outlets) I think oval would really suit the 75 as round is a bit boy racer! LOL

If you get bespoke stuff developed, once tested are you going to offer it via yourself for sale to us folk? Just prefer 'one-stop' shopping with people I trust!

BR Jason

PS.....one final thought....the car now has a noticable induction noise between 2,800rpm and 4,600rpm.....is this why BMW designed the inlet the way they did as an induction noise as such may not have been deemed in keeping with the image they were trying to project for the 75?...anyways, just be aware you may get the same noise.....for me, I think it sounds wonderful, just like the 75 is finally coming to life! :)

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
4,589 Posts
DecatI haven't decided about gutting the cat yet.
I'm certain it will make a big difference, but I can't stand the stink of a uncatalysed diesel so until I go over to veg oil I'll probably leave it.

Tailpipes
If I go down the twin outlet (1 either side) route, with them exiting through the bumper rather than under it, then you are right oval tail pipes (2.5 -3") will look good.
As to selling such a system, not really practicable as the exaust is only in two sections.
Front section is downpipe, flexy joint and catalyst - all one piece ending around the handbrake.
Second section is a long straightish bit right upto and including the back box.
Most custom made exhausts are welded to the orginal pipe or flanges anyway - so has to be done to your own vehicle rather than as a straight bolt on swap.

EGR valve.
If I was leaving this disconnected, I would take my die grinder to the egr innards. The valve seat and bush are quite a big obstructions. May do it later on.

BMW should have learnt from Rover - the L series' egr valve just links the exhaust and inlet manifolds. It isn't in the main intake duct so doesn't impinge upon the induction efficiency.

I haven't noticed any increased induction noise.

Ron

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
4,589 Posts
More feedback from another (ZT CDTi) owner in Holland.

" ..I just finished this mod and i t really works well.
The engine is absolutely more free reving.

I've done it a bit different.
I've only cut away the underside.
This way I could retain the original screws.
I softened the air duct above a small gas flame."

Ron

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
PS.....also see....

75 Diesel's intake abomination (thread)

Sorry Ron.....newbie error on my part....didn't see you had already done a thread on this subject....apologies to all....must get my glasses fixed :)

BR Jason

1 - 4 of 4 Posts