MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
mg_tf
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings everyone. I do not have any mg but a Freelander with K series engine.
I am a big fan of these engines, very simple and reliable head gasket aside. I changed the HG myself on another freelander and would change it again but is not yet needed.
In this case, my big end bearings or so are worn. There is a slight knock on idle, car has 150k miles.
The question that I have besides the grades involved is if I can get away by replacing the bearings on the rods alone, without removing the crankshaft, just by turning it to gain access to each cyl.
Also, are the letters on the block/crank somehow visible for me to see which ones to order without removing sump/etc?
Please apologise if questions are silly, trying to do some maths if I should replace the engine or can get away with the bearings. The head gasket is mint, not losing any coolant and runs nice, just a slight knock on idle.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Yes remove the sump, oil pick up and oil ladder you can then remove the piston and liner from the top

·
Registered
10,222 Posts
The question that I have besides the grades involved is if I can get away by replacing the bearings on the rods alone, without removing the crankshaft, just by turning it to gain access to each cyl.
I imagine that's feasible, but haven't read anything about it being done. Have you done a threads search on the forums? The 75&ZT Club Forum is a good resource. I guess the plan is to do this with the head untouched. In fact, it's the only way it could be done since the crankshaft won't turn once the head's removed.
Also, are the letters on the block/crank somehow visible for me to see which ones to order without removing sump/etc?
I doubt it. As far as I can gather, the grading codes for the big ends are stamped on the conrod journals. This is described in the Haynes manual (for the diesel at least).

I'd also suggest asking your question on the Club Forum, which is far more active than this one. I'm pretty sure someone there will have the definitive answers. Good luck.

TC

1 - 3 of 3 Posts