MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
sorry to start yet another HGF thread. Anyway, after reading the many other threads about HGF I'm pretty sure my 95 Rover Coupe Turbo has HGF. I first noticed the problem when my temp gauge hit max, I lifted the bonnet and the coolant was empty.

What I want to know is, did the HGF cause the coolant loss, or more likely did the coolant loss cause the HGF? If it's the latter than I guess I need to find out why the coolant bottle was empty in the first place, any ideas, water pump failure maybe? I have since filled the coolant bottle again and it seems to be dripping out the bottom, but has now settled on the low mark, although I haven't driven it since.

Also anyone got any rough costs for HGF and water pump replacement so I don't get ripped off? I don't know if the costs are different depending on the engine, mines a 2.0l turbo so is this more expensive?

any help much appreciated.

·
Registered
other_rover
226 Posts
you never know, your HG mite be ok! .. sort the coolant leak, and see how it goes. :) if you have no coolant in oil/ oil in coolant/ excess emissions of smoke/steam then the head gasket is prob intact.

·
Premium Member
mg_zt_t
21,916 Posts
evolotion said:
you never know, your HG mite be ok! .. sort the coolant leak, and see how it goes. :) if you have no coolant in oil/ oil in coolant/ excess emissions of smoke/steam then the head gasket is prob intact.
Definitely identify the reasons for the coolant loss before proceeding. It may even be a worn water pump. When my pump wore out after 110,000 miles the coolant loss was rapid.

Head gaskets on ANY car rarely fail. Usually they are first damaged and then fail to do the job. Invariably that damage is caused by severe overheating following coolant system losses.

I got away with it and no damage to my HG on my TomCat turbo. Maybe you'll be lucky too. So, identify that coolant loss toot sweet.... then take it from there.

Good luck - we all could do with some of that occasionally.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
evolotion said:
unfortunately I'm getting white smoke out the exhaust. there's also a lot of brown gunk around the side of the engine and a lot underneath. Although I cannot see any gunk on the dipstick it still sounds like HGF to me.

how do I find out if the water pump is working correctly?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts