MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can anyone assist please. my car developed a fault that it was sluggish on any sort up up hill gradient and does max speed 50-55 mph on flat road.its as if it has a governor working.these are the things that have been done to it since developing this problem:
changed plugs & leads, new dist cap, new fuel pump, new cat , new rear ex box, timing and timing belt checked, ecu tested, compression tests , diagnostics test ( which incidently told me i needed the new cat, when i didnt)

even tho it improved slightly the fuel consumption is high and its running very rich. when u drop thru the gears there is a noticable reduction in drive.

anyone any ideas

thanx dr desperate

G

·
Don't discount the coil - that can lead to a loss of power under load because of a weak spark not properly igniting the fuel.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi

exactly the same problem I have with my N plate Kensington
see my thread started in January

Garage checked
blocked /collapsed cat,fuel inj pump ,Lambda sensor ,temp sensor,run diagnostic on EMS...nothing shows

SO if you DO find a fix PLEASE let us know as Ive had this now for about 4 months !!!!
Cheers

ps any chance it could be a split diaphragm in the Carb ...whatever that means!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Loss of Power

Hi
Thanks for this ...local garage say they checked this out ...even ran car up hill with whole exhaust disconnected ...noisy but no difference ...progressive loss of power ...although mostly onn the flat still seems pretty good

still the idea of the coil being the problem

absolutely frustrated and desperate

only other thought is that everything seemed OK til went into garage to have front end exhaust replaced / MOT something dislodged

what about this carb diaphragm possibilty

thanks for your interest and help!!!!!

·
Registered
rover_75
432 Posts
If it started with the front exhaust pipe, maybe a lambda sensor problem? But a diagnostic check should show that up.

Stop worrying about carburettor diaphragms - you don't have a carburettor! All Rover 100s had fuel injection, and all Metros from (I think) 1993 or so had it too. Carb'd K-series Metros are easy to spot - they have a big round air filter on top of the engine. Most injected ones have a triangular box (with "injection" written on it, I think), or a smaller rectangular one down the side of the engine (multi-point injection models).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi

Whew ...shows the level Im working at huh!..so no Carb!
They check the Lambda thingy!..said no prob

Im getting some more data by just listening and feeling what happens in certain situations

have the following info;

1 It seems to be less likely to lose power encountering hills ,if Im gentler on the accelerator ...ie just try to nurse more response rather than attempt bootful of revs which just gets less and less response!

2 With the said attempted bootful of revs ,even on the flat when the response is OK ...there is a definate blowing noise ,that reduces /stops with the eased off ,nursing approach

3 sometimes ,only sometimes even uphill things are OK

SO is this still possibly a coil thing...is the coil easy to change?

...only other clue Ive got is from the Haynes Manual (!) which suggests..."Vacuum leak at (the carb ...obviously no!) inlet manifold or associated hoses..." how do I check this ?

As ever thanks everyone for your gelp ....we'll get there in the end!!

Cheers

·
Registered
34 Posts
No carburettor on the injection models obviously, but reminds me of the split diaphragm I had on the carb of my first car - a Vauxhall Chevette. I couldn't get it to go more than 30mph, spent ages diagnosing fault but it only cost 99p for a new diaphragm in the end (plus some new plug leads as I burnt them when checking the fuel pump and causing a small fire in the engine!)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts