MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
other_rover
8,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right I'm convinced MG and Rover will live on. The question is will any of it remain at Longbridge?

SAIC appear to have acquired the rights to the K series mk1, the 25,45 and 75. But do not own the assets to make the cars. They also don't seem to own the new RDX60.

Meanwhle I get the impression that PVH own the MG brand and the SV. Not sure about the TF. If this is the the could be many outcomes. Firstly PVH may still have cash to develop new sportscars. If this is the case then MG may continue at Longbridge as a "niche" sportscar maker.

SAIC on the other had may try and ship most or all of the 25/45 and 75 back to china to start a new Rover car company. However the government may be trying to persuade SAIC to leave some production at longbridge.

To further complicate matters a company like VAG may well see this as an opprtunity to buy MG from PVH and make go of it. Or perhaps SAIC might try and restucture the entire shooting match themselves.

This story is far from over and I thought the guy from the TGWU looked fairly confident about a deal. Only time wll tell but at least the brands may survive...

·
Registered
other_rover
8,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well let's put it this way. SAIC don't own a credible/ recognised brand except for the licensing rights to Rover. Therefore I would imagine that SAIC will want it ASAP. In fact in the short term SAIC must get production started again and quickly because they need to ensure the maintance of the dealership network!

I expect SAIC to negotiate all weekend to secure this deal. And I'm sure the Chinese don't want to lose face.

·
Registered
other_rover
8,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Richard Moss said:
My gut feeling says that Rover have had it but MG will survive. MG is the brand with credibility.
That sounds logical except the rights to use the Rover brand is owned by SAIC. But not MG. Logically unless SAIC can also buy MG from Phoenix venture holdings (not in administration) then Rover is being backed by a company worth billions but MG is being backed by a company worth ? Rover could restart in China.

I think both are now viable. So my gut feeling is Rover will live!!!!!

G

·
I meant that MG is the valauble brand in terms of an outside party wanting to take it on. Look at the support the brand has in the USA 25 years on.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts